We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

Hey all!

I am going to be spending the day at Markham Park in Sunrise and then heading to the Culture Room for a show at 3045 North Federal Highway in Ft. Lauderdale.

Can you please recc. a good restaurant either between these 2 locations, or nearby to the Culture Room for my beau's birthday dinner?

We would want something not too pricy, with a fun atmosphere if possible. It would also have to accomodate a vegetarian and pesco-vegetarian (fish, no meat) but the bday boy likes anything! One more requirement: AWESOME FOOD!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Lavendula

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

Okay, my number one choice right now is Galanga - 26 in Zagats, reasonable prices, lots of choices. What kind of atmosphere does this restaurant have? Do you think it would be good for a birthday dinner?

I like the idea of being in the fun, "mardi gras" area...are there any better choices there?

Mucho thanks,

Lavs

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

Right now, our #1 is Galanga, as previously suggested. It got a 26 on the Zagats, has many choices for different appeties, and is reasonably priced.

Do you think this restaurant has a fun atmosphere? Is there a better pick in the "mardi gras" area of town? It seems that would be a little more fun.

Thanks!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

I think that although Capt Seaton is right about the distance being longer than he first thought, that Himmarshee should get some consideration. It's in Downtown Lauderdale and is on a street of bars and restaurants that is popular for both after work and later in the evening. It would be a drive north up to Oakland for your concert ( which is about NE 30th St. you would be about SW 2nd at Himmarshee). I don't necessarily think the Mardi Gras action would be happening at dinner hour- in my experience that comes later in the evening when things crank up- but I think the atmosphere might be more fun than Galanga- both have good food- here's a link to the Himmarshee menu if you haven't seen it:

http://www.himmarshee.com/menu.htm

Maybe if one of our cool guys AwfulCat or MediaSpree who post here frequently are around they can break the tie- I think Awful originally suggested Galanga- but wonder if he would concur about Himmarshee..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

thanks for the info! being in a fun place is important for the "mood" of the night. i am just realizing now though, how much location is a factor as well...everyone will be drinking, so the closer to the concert the better. walking distance would be the absoulte best, but we can take a cab if need be.

thanks a million!

lavs

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

OK, this is the last time I will bother you guys! We are going to be taking a shuttle that will drop us off at the Culture Room. Is there any restaurants in that immediate vicinity that we can walk to easily? I am trying to make this as convieneint as possible for people and driving myself crazy in the interim!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

PS- It will be around 9 - 10 pm on a Sunday so it would have to be open late!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

Kind of a toughie because I'm not sure how late places stay open on a Sunday especially, but you might google and look at websites for:

MaiKai- This is the Polynesian restaurant I mentioned to you in an earlier post, but is just north of Culture Club on the same side of the Federal Their food and drinks are REALLY pricey - sort of a tourist trap , but if the Molakai Bar stay open that late you could maybe do drinks and sushi or appetizers. Ijust don't know their Sunday hours. If youwant to have areal hoot, order birthday boy the Mystery Drink behind his back- it is ridiculously expensive ( I'm guessing about $40- but serves 4 and will be served to the designated person by an entourage of a tahitian beauty and her sword carrying bodyguards- believe me everyone will watch the show. We have never gotten out of there from dinner at less than $150 for two of us and are not big drinkers. As I said, check the hours.

Ruggeros Bistro

http://www.ruggerosbistro.com/

Probably is open that late, but is an upscale old school Italian place and martini bar. It is just west of Culture Club - you would cross Federal and have to walk the block past the Shopping center and them it is in about the next block on the north side.

Papa Pistolas- A friendly little Italian bistro just south of CUlture Club and in a little strip of shops across FederalHighway

Ft. Lauderdale Ale House

Just south on Federal on the same side as Culture Club. Just a Sports Bar with burgers and Bar food

Careless Sailor ( I think) may nbe Wayward Sailor - is actually an English/Irish Pub in the exact same shopping center I believe. It used to be called the Briney Pub , but has new owners who changed the name and I haven't been in lately- food used to be good.

All of these are places whose hours on Sunday I don't know. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten that others will add.

A spoerts bar south of the Culture Club

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

Yeah, I checked out all of these places and they close a bit too early. I am bummed! Know of any good delivery options near markham park??

19. Re: Nice restaurant for birthday dinner!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 18, 2009