We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Miami vs Hawaii

Which Florida City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne,aus
Level Contributor
849 posts
76 reviews
Miami vs Hawaii

I am wanting some advise on a trip I am in the middle of preparing. We are 2 couples in our late 40's and am planning on doing a few different stops in USA In sept/oct this year. We will be flying from LA across to NYC and then down south to New orleans, memphis and Miami, from there we will venture on to Vegas and Hawaii on our way home. I have had a few people tell me not to waste my time with Miami if we are going to Hawaii as it doesnt compare. Now Im not sure whether to skip Miami and spend longer in Hawaii. Can someone tell me if it is worth the expense and time to go to Miami?

Orlando
Level Contributor
8,385 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Miami vs Hawaii

It depends in which Hawaiian island (they are all very different) and what your interests are. Can you be more specific about your likes and dislikes? Unfortunately, I don't know many mind readers on the forum.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
12,514 posts
96 reviews
2. Re: Miami vs Hawaii

Hello Melbourne for Melbourne! Miami alone to me would not be worth it. A few days in the Keys and a few in Miami & Ft. Lauderdale would be worth a week. However most people usually allow at least 10 days in Hawaii so they can visit several islands there not just one. I have not been to Hawaii (yet!) but know you would have mountains, volcanoes, waterfalls, etc. Florida is basically flat land, Miami is a large city with lots of night life, clubs, great beaches, shopping and dining. The Everglades is nearby and as I said, the Keys which is the best place to go snorkeling, etc. It may be worth it, depends on what you are interested in.

Also, Florida City is actually a very small city in Florida just outside of Miami. Use the Miami and South Beach forums for Miami info and questions.

melbourne,aus
Level Contributor
849 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Miami vs Hawaii

Thank you for your replies and hello melbourne from melbourne. We are going to finish off our trip in Hawaii to chill before the long flight home for 6 days staying in Oahu. Will prob venture over to one of the other islands but our main objective is to relax swim and catch a few last minute bargains. My main reason for wanting to go to Miami is to see what all the hype is about given we have only seen it in the movies. it will be nice to have a swim but we have beautiful beaches in Australia so it's not really for the beach. Have only allocated 4 days in Miami so not sure if it's worth the money and travel time just to check out the place for a few days.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Miami vs Hawaii

I would def skip Miami and spend more time in Hawaii.

I am not impressed by Miami at all. If you wanted to go to clubs all night and party you might like it there, but it is a concrete jungle with a high crime rate. So many nicer places in Florida .

Orlando
Level Contributor
8,385 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Miami vs Hawaii

If you want to chill and relax, I would skip Miami. Either drive to the Florida Keys or spend the extra 4 nights in Kauai or Maui. Both of those islands are awesome.

Miami is a big city.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
12,514 posts
96 reviews
6. Re: Miami vs Hawaii

I like Miami but as stated its not a relaxing place. Crazy traffic, not as bad a NYC but I think all the taxi drivers are from there as they drive around honking their horns for no reason. South Beach is the "in" place to be. If you decide you are going there stay on South Beach. You can walk to Lincoln Mall, visit Biscayne Bay, take one of the Miami water tours of the homes of the rich and famous and see art museums, etc. South Beach is where the pretty hotels and clubs are located which is what you see on TV. Not every bar is a club and there are good restaurants and art museums, etc. If you have 4 nights I would spend 1 or 2 in Miami then a couple nights in the upper keys as suggested. Not quite Hawaii but pretty and relaxing. You can make a day trip from there to Key West if you want to visit the "Southern Most Point" or just stay in Key West if you want more to see and do in one location.

Check out the Miami and South Beach forums to see if its what you really want to do. And the Florida Keys And Key West forums too.

7. Re: Miami vs Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 02, 2015