We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pro's and Cons...quiet beach...red sand??

Which Flagler Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Pro's and Cons...quiet beach...red sand??

I was looking for a condo near daytona beach when I stumbled upon Flagler beach. We would prefer something private and in a non-congested area. It sounds like Flagler might fit that description. If we need entertainment we can always drive 20 minutes north or south for that. I read somewhere about the sand being more like a red muddy sand too and was wondering if it is like that everywhere on the beach. Can someone please give me some cons and pro's of Flagler beach so I can decide if this or Ormond beach should be my destination? We were thinking of renting one of the beach houses that is just 50 feet from the water. Hopefully my children can build sandcastles, look for sea shells, play in the waves and do some snorkeling. We were hoping for a quiet relaxing area and was hoping this was it. Please advise. Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pro's and Cons...quiet beach...red sand??

Yes, the sand is red in Flagler. The beach has also been beautiful everytime I have ventured that far north.

The cons: any condo will be across the street from and not on the beach. There are no buildings except the pier restaurant beachside. They are all across A1A. There are strong currents in the ocean at times (that is true anywhere on the east coast though). I have seen it somewhat congested near the pier on the weekends, but nothing like Daytona.

If I wanted a quiet family vacation and could find a nice unit, I would go for it.

I have seen some places a little further north near the Mantanzas Inlet that looked nice from the road as well, but I have never stayed in that area.

chattanooga,TN
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pro's and Cons...quiet beach...red sand??

Flagler is Fabulous!! We have been taking our children & g'children there for summer vacation for the last 5 yrs., and they all LOVE it! My husband & I also return in late Sept./early Oct. for 2 wks. Beach isn't crowded at all...very quiet & laid back. We were there in July, and the water was blue with sandbars every day. No condos on the beach....everything is across the street, but if you stay at one of the condos, most have private entrances & steps down to the beach. There's only one place I know of that is directly on beach & that's next door to "High Tides" which is a great place to eat but don't know about rooms connected to it. We've stayed at Ocean Blvd. condos...nothing fancy...nice pool...grounds very clean. There are plenty of other condos to check out, and there are homes available to rent. Be aware that mid-Oct. is biker wk. in Daytona, so there will be more people around but not like there will be in Daytona.

If you do go.... check out the local vendors in the city square on Fri. & Sat. mornings....fresh veggies, crafts, etc. There are also some quaint little shops near the square that you might want to check out.

If you like bike riding, there are some great places to explore. Dolphins can be seen from the beach every day.

Great thing about Flagler is that it's close to Daytona, one hr/15min. to Orlando, 30min. to St. Augustine, so you can "day trip" if you like & return to

peaceful Flagler.

Lastly, you must go to "High Tides" to eat. They have a screened in porch on the beach..very casual & informal..food is fantastic.

Don't know that much about Ormand except there are condos directly on the beach. It's more commercialized than Flagler, more traffic lights, but has advantage like Flagler of being close to places one might want to take "day trips."

Hope you decide to stay in Flagler...one of our favs.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pro's and Cons...quiet beach...red sand??

Thanks for your input!! It sounds like you truly enjoy the area. I think it might be in the running for our vacation.

I did find a home right on the beach (if somone doesn't book it up before I can make a decision) so it is even more perfect not havng to be in a condo or hotel. I am still a little worried about the sand thing though...or lack of sand. I guess the children will be happy enough with the waves and watching dolphins. I just want it to be perfect. You never know if we will be able to come back or not. Especially if my husband doesn't like it.

I figured we would also do a day trip to St. augustine and explore the town and also swim with the dolphins while were there. Also, visit Daytona and Orlando too.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,238 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pro's and Cons...quiet beach...red sand??

The beaches from Daytona to St Augustine vary quite a bit. Bing Maps Bird's Eye View can give some idea of how beaches from Flagler south are narrower than those of Daytona Beach, Crescent Beach, and St. Augustine.

The Bird's Eye images for Flagler Beach are limited, but offer a contrast with a fairly big surf day (with waves breaking near the end of the pier) and a very gentle day.

Daytona Beach can be pretty ruddy. Look at Bird's Eye imagery at Sun Splash Park, just south of the pier.

I don't think any of the NE Florida beaches are particularly good for snorkeling. It's all or nearly all sand bottom--perhaps someone else will have a better notion of what's to be seen. Washington Oaks Gardens State Park has a beach with coquina limestone outcrops, but I don't think there's rock in the water (but haven't checked it out). The park doesn't mention snorkeling.

www.floridastateparks.org/washingtonoaks/

Depending a bit on kids' ages, Flagler is a place where surfing lessons might be available and desirable, as much for picking up some beach/surf smarts as for being able to ride boards.

In some respects, inland localities such as Ocala National Forest (Alexander Springs, Juniper Springs, and nearby Silver Spring) may be more interesting than much of Daytona.

Flagler Beach, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pro's and Cons...quiet beach...red sand??

Hi-

I live in Palm Coast but work in Flagler Beach. yes, the sand is a reddish color because it comes from the coquina rock which is that color; some call it cinnamon beach.

This is a great laid-back quiet area. Easy drive to Daytona for lots of excitement or 25 miles to St. Augustine for historic tours.

Property prices are very low here now and there should be lots of beach rentals. Lots of walking, jogging trails, kayaking on the salt water canals in Palm Coast, etc.

Good luck. Hope you decide to check out Florida's best secret...Flagler Beach.

Reply to: Pro's and Cons...quiet beach...red sand??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Flagler Beach