We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything like the Amelia Island Plantation on east coast?

MM
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Anything like the Amelia Island Plantation on east coast?

We absolutely LOVE AI! However, we'd like to check out some other places on the coast (from South Carolina and down to the Fernandina Beach area). We've heard of Kiawah, Edisto, Hilton Head, Folly Beach, etc. Is there any place like the Plantation with villa rentals along the coast? We like swimming pools, somewhat modern villas, long beach for walking, and not-over-the top-crowded areas! It's a big trek for us to get there, so we don't want to book something and have regrets. Thanks for any input!

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything like the Amelia Island Plantation on east coast?

It's great to hear that you have had such enjoyable experiences on Amelia Island that you're hoping to have more in other locations! If you haven't already, post your inquiry in some forums for other locations so you get some local feedback from those locations besides just what us Amelia Island lovers have to say.

Now I will say that if you like the Plantation and Amelia Island, some places we get compared to that you may also enjoy would be Jekyll Island, GA or St. Simon's Island, GA and Hilton Head, SC. All of these locations are sure to have similar resorts with villa options and full service similar to what you have experienced at the AI Plantation. I have stayed at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel and can tell you that it is a very lovely charming property with many services on site. On St. Simon's Island you'll find the King & Prince Beach Resort, The Cloister, and the Sea Palms resort. I'm sure you could find the accommodations and service you're looking for at any of these locations. Again, posting on the travel forums within these areas may produce better suggestions for you, but hopefully this has given you a starting point on where to look.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything like the Amelia Island Plantation on east coast?

Bluefolder,

Why risk disappointment somewhere else?? LOL, I know, the sense of adventure. Although TrvLoverFlorida has some good comments about them, I would pass on Jekyll or St. Simons. If you are coming this far, might as well come down another 45 minutes to Amelia. Having lived on St. Simons, the fact that we live on AI should tell you something as far as my preference. SSI has a lot of charm and King & Prince is nice, Cloister is luxurious but SSI is smaller than AI. Also, there is no beach until you go north of the King & Prince 2 hours before and after high tide as the water level comes up to the seawall.

I would suggest Kiawah to be pretty close to AI in terms of accomodations, restaurants, etc. Very upscale resort with nice beach, great golf and tennis. More family oriented resort, but still quite nice, is Seabrook Island, just south of Kiawah. Both have hotel rooms as well as villa rentals. Exceptionally long beaches and not crowded once you get away from the main access point. It has been a number of years since we have been to either, but both resorts had all the amenities with great beaches. But they are 25 miles outside of Charleston and I am not current on how much retail/restaurant development there has been between the islands and Charleston.

I'm not a great fan of Hilton Head primarily due to the traffic hassle in moving around the Island, especially if you are staying at the southern end around Sea Pines Plantation. Lots of restaurants in HH.

MM
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything like the Amelia Island Plantation on east coast?

Thanks for the contributions! We're interested in pretty beaches, a pool, clean accommodations, and a slow pace in a family environment. Upscale restaurants and full service aren't really our style. I've been looking for these options north of AI.

And yes, we might end up in AI again.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything like the Amelia Island Plantation on east coast?

You may want to check out Fripp Island. www.frippislandresort.com

5. Re: Anything like the Amelia Island Plantation on east coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 30, 2010