We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare the Ritz Carlton and Amelia Island Plantion

Naples, FL
2 posts
Save Topic
Compare the Ritz Carlton and Amelia Island Plantion

We are a family of three that will be driving up from Naples FL. My daughter is 14. We've traveled extensively, and typically stay in 4-5 star resorts. We hear that the Ritz is noisy and expensive and the Plantation is dated, expecially the room decor. We're planning to head there the first week in April. What are the differences between the two resorts? Rates for the Plantation are as low as $179/night, while the Ritz is $300/night. All advice and facts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare the Ritz Carlton and Amelia Island Plantion

Viking,

Maybe due to my Scottish blood, I would stay at AIP and save your money unless you really demand the 5-star service that the RC will provide. Not that AIP service would be shoddy; but hard to top the reputation/execution at the RC. Key is to make sure you are doing an apples to apples comparison in the pricing. Is the $179/night at the AIP Inn or in one of the condo units?

RC is doing major construction on expanding its conference center on the front of the property; but if you have an oceanfront room, you shouldn't hear anything there. I have not seen any recent posts about the noise issue; but you might want to check again.

Of course AIP complex is bigger than RC. Both hotels are oceanfront. Wide range of dining options at both places; but I would recommend you go in to historic district of Fernandina Beach (northern half of Amelia Island)for a much wider selection of dining options - both types of food as well as price range.

AIP has been operating under some financial pressures for the last couple of years. Just recently AIP sold majority ownership (51%) to the Irish company Redquartz who also owns/operates the Sawgrass Marriott Resort & Spa down in Ponte Vedra Beach. Too early for any of the benefits from the capital injection to be seen. I interacted last Spring with a number of the top women's tennis players that were staying at the AIP Inn while participating in the Bausch & Lomb tennis tournament; and they all had nice things to say about their rooms and the service at the Inn. But again, when doing price comparisons, make sure you are compaing a room at the Inn (and not one of the villas) to the RC rate.

Both properties offer extensive golf & tennis facilities and of course pools / beach access. AIP complex has bicycle/walking trails throughout the comples as well as a nature center.

Hope you will use the opportunity to explore the historic district of Fernandina and the sites outside either complex including Fort Clinch State Park, Egan's Creek Greenway, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

2. Re: Compare the Ritz Carlton and Amelia Island Plantion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, October 20, 2009