We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macy's

Wigan
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Topic
Macy's

I have been doing a bit of research for furniture on the internet before we go out to furnish our new house in November - mainly leather sofas. I have notice that Macy's are advertising a big sale. I have seen very nice looking leather sofas 3,2 seater and chair. In the sale they come to around $2000.

Which seems a good price.

Has anyone bought furniture from Macy's, and what is the quality usually like. It is difficult when just looking at pictures, somethime things look good but may not be when you see them.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,139 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Macy's

Janet, did you tell them you were an overseas buyer for that extra 11% off?

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Macy's

Janet,

Glad you getting things sorted! And Amanx is right - that 11% is very important - and they will give to you no problem whatsoever.

Good luck with everything, have to say I envy you so much, I would do all over again with a heart and a half - even considered renting myself out as a ' personal home decorator/shopper' as I loved it (and contine to love it so much! Every time I go out, there is always something more just to add, should it be in the form of additional wall art, or plant, or towels or bedlinen ..... the list is endless!

Good luck in November - you will have a wonderful time! am hoping to be out again myself in November/December with some of my family for a few weeks, and can't wait!

Wigan
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Macy's

Hi,

I didn't get a discount of 11% as I don't know anything about it. What exactly is the 11%. More details please.

Janet

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Macy's

Janet,

Macys offer an International Visitor's discount card which gives you 11% off all your purchases in all departments of the store. You can get them at customer services in any Macy's store - so don't forget to get it before you go buying all that furniture and linens - the discount is definitely worthwhile..... and if you are lucky enough to be there at a sale time, you even get the 11% off any sale price!

Not sure if you are paying for furniture prior to arrival, but if so, then I would ring Macys and ask them for your 11% International discount!

Happy shopping!

Wigan
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Macy's

Thanks for the info on the discount card. I phoned the Macy's in Sarasota and asked if I could get a discount if ordering over the telephone. But, unfortunately they said NO. I have to go into the store and collect the card. It is valid for 1 month. It must be a purchase made in the store to qualify for the discount. Not to worry. The sofas we have ordered were not in the sale in the stores, only on line. Many thanks

Janet

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Macy's

Ah well - worth a try. But you rest easy that you are paying only half of what you would pay for the sofas in the UK! Win Win all round.

Happy shopping!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,139 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Macy's

and you can get the card when you go there, so can use it for all the other stuff!

Clermont, FL
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Macy's

The leather sofa in my family room came from Macy's. It's four years old and other than needing a good wipe down, it's still like new. I wouldn't hestitate to buy leather from them again.

I've also purchased several mattress/spring sets from them and again was satisfied with both the qaulity as well as shopping and delivery experience. One thing I liked about them was no pressure, most mattress places will drive you crazy--don't ever give out your phone number to those mattress places--they'll hound you for months!

I'd caution on Rooms to Go, horror stories on their service, and the furniture is not good quality. It even looks cheap in the photos in the circulars.

Ethan Allen has high quality furniture for mostly reasonable prices, I furnished most of my home from them and am extremely pleased.

I wouldn't do business again with Bassett if they were the only place on the planet. It took them over six months to deliver the correct mattress to us--that we had paid in full for when we ordered it. They brought the wrong one twice, and even when they said they'd give us 10% of the purcahse back on our card they never did. I just gave up trying to get it and was left as a very unsatisfied customer. Lots of outright lies, and when we would confront them on the lies they would backtrack. An extremely unsatisfactory experience. We should have stuck with Macy's, but live and learn.

We bought a kitchen set from Kanes. Not the best quality in the world, but for what we paid for it we considered it "disposable" and will be happy to get ten years out of it (which is about what it's looking like we'll get.) The were honest, made a timely delivery, and I'd shop there again if I wasn't overly worried about the quality of what I was buying.

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Macy's

At least you know that your leather sofa should be good (as per above post).

With regard to comments on Rooms to Go, I have to say my experience was excellent and I could not praise them enough. With regards to quality, I have to say the ones which we choose are excellent quality, but then again they weren't cheap. Obviously others may disagree, but from my point of view, Rooms to Go offered excellent service. Can't comment on Bassetts or the other one mentioned for dining set as we don't have either in Port Charlotte that I am aware of.

As I said, go and check all available stores to you and decide once you look, touch, feel and sit.

Once again, happy shopping.

20. Re: Macy's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:24 pm, October 09, 2009