We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short-term Rentals (Summer)

Honokaa, Hawaii
3 posts
Save Topic
Short-term Rentals (Summer)

Looking for a short-term rental in Dunedin from mid-june to September 1st. Any ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Florida
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short-term Rentals (Summer)

If you are looking for a furnished vacation rental try looking on VRBO, vacationrentals.com or Flip Key. These sites have vacation rentals that are individually owned and managed by either an owner or property manager. Try to find one that has multiple favourable reviews. On VRBO and vacationrentals.com an owner can not remove a review unless he removes all reviews. On Flip Key an owner cannot have any reviews removed - so if you see several reviews they will probably be a good indication of what the property is really like.

Honokaa, Hawaii
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short-term Rentals (Summer)

Thanks. I know about VRBO. Looking more for a one-room apartment type situation for my son who has an internship in Dunedin for 2.5 months this summer.

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Florida
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short-term Rentals (Summer)

I'm not familiar with colleges in the area - but many of them will rent out their housing to non-students during the summer months - and the rates are usually reasonable. Does your son have transportation?

MarkBee is more familiar with the area - if he's following the Dunedin forum perhaps he'll have other suggestions - he's the Destination Expert for Clearwater.

Edited: 12:44 pm, May 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Florida
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short-term Rentals (Summer)

That is a great idea LifesABeach, never would have thought of that. But I don't know of any college in the area with oncampus rooms/housing. I can only think of vrbo, Google, or even keeping an eye on a local flyer type publication www.theflyer.com or Tampa Bay Times classifieds www.tampabay.com

Internship at Mease Hospital? If so, then that is near downtown Dunedin, so the closer to there the room/apartment is, the easier the commute will be for him. Good luck in the search!!

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Dunedin
Dunedin
Florida
Honokaa, Hawaii
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Short-term Rentals (Summer)

Thanks for the ideas, folks. Actually, his internship is with Scouts.com covering the Blue Jays minor league team in Dunedin. He's a sophomoreU of Oregon and we live in Hawai'i so - needless to say - Dunedin is out of our area of familiarity.

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Florida
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short-term Rentals (Summer)

I just looked on VRBO - there are a few one bedroom and studio units available for around $1400.00 or less per month. Summer is a pretty slow season, so you might be able to get a better deal for a 2 1/2 month rental. Other rental sites to look at are Tripadvisors vacation rentals (also listed under Flip Key), Homeaway, and vacationrentals.com. Also, you could look for vacation management companies in the area - they might have some ideas for you. Some condo associations limit rentals to a minimum of one month - and those ones will have lower rates than the ones that allow weekly rentals.

The area around Dunedin is very popular with snowbirds - so there are many properties for rent. Owners try to offset their costs by renting their units when they aren't in Florida (which is usually summer), so the prices drop substantially. If your son has a vehicle, he might be able to find something that isn't on the beaches or ocean, and the prices would be lower. There are quite a few snowbird rentals between Dunedin and Tarpon Springs - some will have age restrictions though.

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Florida
Florida
Florida
United States
jtbldb
Level Contributor
60 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short-term Rentals (Summer)

Did you try airbnb.com they have rooms for rent. Whoops.. I see you are leaving there now. How did you like it?

Edited: 1:02 pm, September 03, 2013
8. Re: Short-term Rentals (Summer)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 05, 2014