We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

caladesi Island

va
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
caladesi Island

Hi there experts!

I am travelign w/ four women and was wonderign if this beach is worth the trip for us. We are beach gals and know the beaches in the treasure Ils/ st petersburg area are terrific and did not wan tto watse a day of this place is filled with children and lots of people.... Sorry parents, rest and relaxation this trip!

How was the kayaking? Is it a long trip? are you on your own or is it with a guide?

Also how far from Tampa (waterside) is this?

Thanks you all!!! :))

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: caladesi Island

Caladesi is usually not that crowded at all. At least compared to the more easily accessable beaches like St. Pete Beach/TI, Clearwater etc. Even less crowded on a weekday. It is very primitive, no hotels, restaurants etc, just a small concession area.

I don't have any info on the kayaking there, but if taking the ferry from Honeymoon Island, it is $9 each, and you will be limited to 4 hours on Caladesi. This limit is so everyone doesn't wait til the last ferry of the day to leave, and then there won't be enough room for everyone on the boat.

Not sure what you mean by Waterside in Tampa. Marriott (or other brand) Waterside hotel in Downtown?? Or Channelside area perhaps, These are in or near downtown. From downtown Tampa to Honeymoon Island will be about an hour drive, a little longer during a weekday rush hour.

va
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: caladesi Island

Thanks Mark!

Appreciate the post! :)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
942 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: caladesi Island

If you go to Caladesi by private boat, is there a limit to the time you can stay there? Can you stay there over 4 hours?

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: caladesi Island

The time limit only applies if you take the ferry over. If you get there by some other means, then there is no time limit. Although since it is a state park, you may get kicked out after sundown.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: caladesi Island

Hi folks and Mark Bee!

I am hoping to get straight forward directions on getting to Caladesi Island. Any input on ferry vs. private would be great. I hear ferry can be a hassle. My trip is 3rd week of April [spring break for northerners]. Can you book in advance with the privates or just go to Honeymoon Island and hope to find a ride over? While its gorgeous - i heard it very "natural"....rats, snakes, mosquitos, sand fleas....how concerned should one be?

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: caladesi Island

I wouldn't be worried about bugs etc. The sea breeze normally keeps them at bay.

I would take the ferry. Unless you have a boat of your own, it's your only option. There are not private boat owners just hanging around offering to take people to Caladesi.

To get to Honeymoon. Go to Dunedin, it's a small town just to the North of Clearwater. Take the Dunedin causeway, this ends at honeymoon, where you will catch the ferry.

We actually had guests visiting us from Chicago 2 weeks ago. I was stuck at work, but my wife took them on a trip to Caladesi using the ferry. They had no wait, no complaints about bugs, or anything. They really enjoyed all of it. They did pretty good collecting a bunch of shells also.

7. Re: caladesi Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 10, 2009