We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in destin!?

ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in destin!?

Please help! I will be vacationing in destin with my two girls ages 9 and 11, and would love some suggestions on where to stay. I heard "Holiday inn on the beach" is good? We have never seen the ocean and would like to stay somewhere on the beach.

Louisville
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in destin!?

Looks like the Holiday Inn has pretty good reviews on this website. So, you probably won't go wrong if you want to stay there.

However, I (and probably plenty of others on this forum) would recommend that you rent a condo from one of the reputable agencies in Destin. You'll have much more room, a kitchen, dining area, etc. I checked the Holiday Inn website and it appears that all of the rooms are standard size. If you're only going for a few days you might not mind. But, if you plan on staying a week you'll get tired of looking at those 4 walls.

You could find a 1 BR condo on the beach by looking at some of the following websites: destinresorts.com, newman-dailey.com, southernresorts.com. I would start with those and maybe check VRBO.com. You can probably save a few dollars.

And if you don't mind NOT being directly on the beach (and saving a few more dollars) you should consider a condo listed as ACROSS THE STREET from the beach if it is in Crystal Beach, Miramar Beach or anywhere on Scenic 98. Scenic 98 runs right along the beach and the condos listed as across the street are a very short walk to the beach and many still have a great view of the gulf. Perfect example: Maravilla building 2. Unobstructed view of the gulf at reasonable rates and a 50 yard walk to the beach.

Good luck and I think you've made a great choice for your first trip to see the ocean. Destin beaches are beautiful. I hope you'll report back on this forum after your trip and let us all know what you think.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Miramar Beach
Miramar Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Maravilla
Maravilla
68 Reviews
Destin, FL
location, location...
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in destin!?

Depends on when you are going. HI gets really busy during the high season and can be somewhat of a zoo. If you are going for a week, I would also recommend a condo. Prices vary by season and if you look at this forum for past posts (say, Feb thru July), you'll get a good idea of where to stay.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in destin!?

Go for the condo.You should be able to find one,there are all kinds of options.You don't say when your trip is planned but if it is for spring break the prices go up for that time.The weeks after,up until the week of Memorial day the prices go back to the early spring rates so you will save some money if you schedule then.Try looking on VRBO.com.Usually owners listings,usually a little better price.Ask lots of questions and look at pics. of most condos.You may also want to think about the beaches of south Walton,20-30 mins. from destin.Much quieter, lots of accomadations and restaurants and less traffic.Only two highrises in that area,so even if you stay across the street most have a great view.Check out Gulf Place.Also Resortquest.com

Mentioned in this post
Gulf Place
Gulf Place
84 Reviews
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in destin!?

Thanks for the info. My vacation is planned for march 5. We are staying for a week.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in destin!?

Thanks to bigbluefan, we stayed in Blue Mountain on 30-A in September and LOVED it. Here's a link to the condo where we stayed- right on the beach, really terrific.

http://www.bluemountainvillas.com

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in destin!?

Definately get a condo. We went last year during Spring Break and stayed at Maravilla. This was our second stay there. It's not right on the beach but just on the other side of a two lane highway. We stayed in Building 2 i think it was with excellent views of the ocean. My kids loved it.

Mentioned in this post
Maravilla
Maravilla
68 Reviews
Destin, FL
Lexington,Ky
Level Contributor
141 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in destin!?

We stayed at the Holiday Surf & Raquet Club in October. It is right on the beach and has one or two bedroom condos. It was the cheapest place we found right on the beach, and was a decent little place. If price is an issue, definitely check out the reviews on this one.

8. Re: Where to stay in destin!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 24, 2009