We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from the Houston Area

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North of Houston
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coming from the Houston Area

Hello-

We are looking at coming to the Destin area for a week at the end of April/early May. We have two children-one that is 4 and one that is 17 months.

In the past we have gone to Galveston (close but not to our liking) and South Padre Island (8 hours away, and more to our liking). I'm assuming that the Destin area is more like South Padre-is that correct? Since the drive should be about 10-10.5 hours it is not that much farther than South Padre.

I've read postings on Jetty East/Islander. They both seem like nice condos, but it does not appear that they have a washer/dryer in the units. Perhaps it is bad childhood memories of dragging laundry to the Laundromat, but I would prefer a condo with a w/d in the unit.

Can anyone recommend one that is gulf front?

Also, what are some of the local grocery stores? We usually eat most meals in the condo and having a well stocked grocery nearby is nice.

Thanks for any information given!

North of Houston
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Coming from the Houston Area

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions...however, there was a change of plans and we are now going to England to visit family.

I'm sure that one day we will make it to Destin so I'll keep all of your suggestions in mind.

Thanks again!!!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Coming from the Houston Area

We've been going to Destin (from Kentucky) for almost 15 years, and the 2 best condos we've stayed in are Oceania and Inlet Reef Club (http://inletreefclub/index.html) Oceania is newer, usually has higher rates, and every unit is gulf front (Some of Inlet Reef's are gulf view.) Some of Oceania's units are over 2000 square feet and are so luxurious! You can read about other condos here destin-florida-destinationguide.com/condo-re…

Both of those condos have washers & dryers in every unit, a pool, and grocery stores are 1-2 minutes away. Good luck!!