We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good food on the way from Houston to Destin?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
507 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Good food on the way from Houston to Destin?

Were headed out tomorrow! Any suggestions of places to stop for lunch along I 10? Special interest in bbq

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
883 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good food on the way from Houston to Destin?

We don't normally seek out BBQ when we travel, but prefer seafood. For BBQ the only place that really comes to mind, is the original Shed location in Bay Springs Mississippi, For good seafood, we normally stop at Steamboat Bill's in Lake Charles, Fezzo's in Scott or Crowley La,, Acme Oyster House in Baton Rouge or Covington, or a new place we tried on our last trip, The Half Shell Oyster House in Biloxi, Ms. You can't go wrong with any of these places. We have not had a bad meal at any of them.

Mentioned in this post
Acme Oyster House
Acme Oyster House
418 Reviews
Destin, FL
Half Shell Oyster House
Half Shell Oyster House
109 Reviews
Destin, FL
Biloxi
Biloxi
Mississippi
Indiana
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good food on the way from Houston to Destin?

For a fun atmosphere and good food, I would recommend Lambert's Cafe in Foley, AL.

Unfortunately, the BBQ that I would suggest is in Northern Alabama. However, I have family down in the Hammond, LA area, and they swear by the BBQ at Papa's Backyard BBQ in Slidell, LA. Now, I cannot vouch for it myself. But, they do.

Have you ever had Sonny's BBQ? It is a chain, but I actually really love it. There is one in Baton Rouge, Mobile, and a bunch in Florida. I know people that love it and hate it. I personally LOVE their Sweet BBQ sauce, and will try to go a little out of my way to get the sauce if I know I am near one (like most bbq joints, they sell their bbq sauce by the bottle/jug) They have a fantastic salad bar, which is a huge hit with our family. The prices are reasonable, and there is a good variety of food options.

Mentioned in this post
Foley
Foley
Alabama
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Slidell
Slidell
Louisiana
Florida
Florida
United States
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
507 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good food on the way from Houston to Destin?

Ha, we did end up in Slidell, but at a place clef Bonnie Cs that was pretty good!

4. Re: Good food on the way from Houston to Destin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 10, 2015