We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion to break up the long car ride

Fox Point, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion to break up the long car ride

We are driving to Destin from Milwaukee WI. Last year we made a pit stop at Mammouth Caves, KY to get out of the car and let the kids wear off some energy. It worked out wonderfully. Any other stops you could suggest along way? Our children are 10 and 6. We will be traveling along I-65 for a majority of the trip.

Fox Point, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion to break up the long car ride

Wanted to add, we stopped at a small town along I65, leaving us about 5 hours on the second leg of the drive.

Normally, my husband prefers to drive and get there but the spontaneous pit stop last year made the long car ride not so miserable.

Pensacola, Florida
Destination Expert
for Pensacola
Level Contributor
816 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion to break up the long car ride

Nashville is always fun.

WI
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion to break up the long car ride

We are driving from West Bend. Looking into a different route. Our youngest just got back from Disney hus trip. Tgey took differentvwsybi guess Louisville is pretty messed up with construction.

Fox Point, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion to break up the long car ride

Sick id winter 7. Thanks for the info about Louisville.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
729 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion to break up the long car ride

Louisville construction isn't too awful bad. Avoid rush hours m-f and you'll be fine. Google Kentucky Down Under. Pretty neat way to spend a few hours.

Slinger, WI
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion to break up the long car ride

We often take I-57 through central IL to avoid the I-65 traffic. It is technically longer, but you don't have the traffic or truck traffic so you can end up saving time. You meet up with I-65 north of Nashville. We always stop in Nashville on the way down to break up the trip. When are you going? We're leaving 4/11. :)

Fox Point, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion to break up the long car ride

We are going the 11-20th. GabsMom, what do you do in Nashville? We are possibly thinking about the Meade plantation. My 10 year old, enjoys history and the underground RR, However, the 6 year old boy may be bored, I'm thinking I can have DH have him run circles in a field to burn energy. Also thinking about checking out the walking tours in Franklin, TN. We find a nice two hour break re energizes everyone to continue driving for another 5 hours or so. Our mantra to make it to Destin without going bonkers"it's all about the journey" We loved Mammoth Caves. The kids were tired and actually slept for a good chunk after that pit stop.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion to break up the long car ride

Belle Meade Plantation is nice, but it is a horse plantation and not terribly fascinating for a kid.

In Franklin, the Carter House House and Carnton Plantation offer tours. Both are on the site of the Battle of Franklin, the bloodiest battle of the Civil War, and have the blood stains and bullet holes to prove it. May capture their attention a bit more. Franklin also gets you through any Nashville congestion and has some good dining choices.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestion to break up the long car ride

Howdy Kelly. I'm from Milwaukee, but now live elsewhere in WI. We've been making this drive for 20 years, since our daughter was 8. I think we've hit every interesting stop (particularly those educational ones as she often missed school) along the way.

I break it down into the "stop for the night and see something there" to a "quick stop along the drive". I'm sure I'll think of more after I do this post. Yes, we enjoyed Mammoth Cave too. We've taken a bit of a detour and gone to Chattanooga to see the battlefields, the aquarium and Lookout Mountain.

In Nashville we've stopped at the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home, Franklin for the Battle of Franklin sights. The kids would see actual bullet holes in buildings there. Even just seeing their dam from down below is pretty neat. Murfreesboro, a bit SE is interesting also.

In KY there's also the Corvette Museum, Lincoln's boyhood home. We also enjoy seeing some of the distilleries, even though I really don't drink. They're very interesting, historical and often in beautiful areas. We've done Makers Mark and Jack Daniels. Some of these are a bit out of the way, but I often think in a 2200 mile drive, it's worth some extra stops.

Huntsville, AL has Space Camp, and at the very least that neat welcome area with the rocket. We also also stopped at Heaton Pecan Farm in Clanton, AL for a quick sandwich and delicoius ice cream and desserts. Its one block off I 65.

Indiana has an outstanding children's museum in Indianapolis, and of course there's always the Speedway. Sometimes we go thru IN, sometimes IL, depending on the mood we're in. We also often stop in Atlanta to see family, so some of these areas are a bit east of Destin, but worth stopping at.

We leave in less than a month and I am READY!

Milwaukee'ish, WI
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestion to break up the long car ride

This was JUST the kind of post I was looking for! FTG very good tips...we're looking for a place to stay one night along the way. We usually drive right through but this year we leave the 15th and can't check into Camp Gulf until the 17th.

DW wants to hit the smokies but I DO NOT want to drive thru Gatlinburg, TN!!