We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Needing advice for our family of 4

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Needing advice for our family of 4

Hi. Our family will be traveling to the Destin area the week of July 5-12. My husband and myself with our 2 year old and 5 year old. We are wanting to book quickly, so it can be a bit overwhelming. The most important thing to us is a beautiful beach. Just wanting to relax. We will be making most of our meals in the condo. Not needing the most updated or fancy condo, just as long as it is clean. We are not wanting to spend more than 1500 for the week. Looking for a 1 bedroom with addl. bunk beds or a 2 bedroom. What I have found to somewhat fit this budget are: Destin Pointe and Maravilla. Any feedback on these? Any others I should seek out on vrbo? I realize Okaloosa island may be closer to our budget. I know that is a different forum. :) Are the beaches in OK island as pretty as these properties? Thanks so much.

Edited: 11:27 am, March 13, 2014
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Needing advice for our family of 4

The areas you mention all have the same beautiful beaches. We tend to think of the whole area from Ft. Walton east along 30A as "Destin", but people will suggest areas within that to give more specific info. It's fine to ask in the Destin forum regarding anything in that stretch. That is the high season so it will be more crowded, some areas less so. Maravilla's a good location, we stayed there three years, but the pools are a bit small for such a large complex. But during summer, maybe they'll all be at the beach. For a budget, consider SummerSpell or SummerBreeze, right next door. They'll have 1 BR/1 BA with bunk beds, if that works. Many other locations with have those hallway beds. Good Luck!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
453 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Needing advice for our family of 4

I have stayed in Cabana Club Unit 304 that was very comfortable. Its a one bedroom on the beach with bunk beds. There is no pool. It may be around your budget or a $100 or so over.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Needing advice for our family of 4

This is very helpful. Thank you! If anyone has any feedback on Destin Pointe I would love to hear it. Thanks!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Needing advice for our family of 4

I honestly wasn't familiar with Destin Pointe until I looked it up, there are a LOT of units in Destin. Then I found it was near where we stay and I may have even walked past it. You're on a bit of a peninsula there (look at the map) so it's more quiet. Maravilla is on old highway 98 which is only two lane, but can be pretty crowded. We like the location where we stay at South Bay, which is near Destin Pointe. The reviews on TA are good, have you seen them yet? I think you'd be very happy at either, but with two small children, I think Destin Pointe or something else on Holiday Isle nearby it is a good choice.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Needing advice for our family of 4

It does look good for families with kids. Thanks for the feedback!

6. Re: Needing advice for our family of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, July 02, 2014
Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Needing advice for our family of 4

I know Maravilla is very nice. You may also want to consider Beach Resort. The units have one master bedroom and a separate bunk room. The infinity pool is awesome and perfect for kids. You can find the resort on VRBO.com. I have stayed there with my family many times.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Needing advice for our family of 4

Emerald Towers West on Okaloosa Island has the one bedrooms with bunks directly on the Gulf that you describe. Breathtaking beach and less congested than Destin. Also a little less pricey than Destin.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Needing advice for our family of 4

Emerald Towers West on Okaloosa Island has the one bedrooms with bunks directly on the Gulf that you describe. Breathtaking beach and less congested than Destin. Also a little less pricey than Destin.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Needing advice for our family of 4

Emerald Towers West is nice, but the pool is around the front of the building in the parking lot. I do not think it is very attractive. I think Waterscape has 1 bedroom units with bunks, and Island Princess does. The nice thing about Okaloosa Island is that the condos are beach front, which is great for a family with a little one.