We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best directions?

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
Save Topic
Best directions?

What would be the best route from Indianapolis to Fort Walton Beach? Were coming down 65 South through Alabama. I figured I'd post here too because the FWB forum can be deadsville. Here are some directions I was given awhile back to Destin. Would that route be best for FWB as well? Were leaving in 24 hours.

Going to Mobile takes way too long. Taking US 331 out of Montgomery takes way too long also. This is the absolute fastest way to Destin if you are coming from Montgomery...I don't care what AAA, Mapquest, Google Maps, etc say. This is THE route: I-65 south to exit Alabama #114 (Georgiana), east on AL 106 to U.S. 31 south. It merges with AL 55. Continue south toward Andalusia, then U.S. 29 south to AL 137 south toward Wing. AL 137 becomes FL 189. Continue south on Fl 189 to Fl 4 to U.S. 90. East on 90 to Crestview, south on FL 85 to Niceville and left at the T towards the MidBay Bridge. Take the bridge ($2.50 toll, I think) across the bay and at U.S. 98 go right to Destin. Or left to Sandestin. It's not as complicated as it sounds, just get a map. Stop at the welcome center at the AL state line, get a map and have your picture taken in front of the rocket!

Louisville
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best directions?

Those are Baked again's directions, I believe. And everybody that has used them has agreed that they are the best if coming down I-65. Go with those.

Have fun this week!

2. Re: Best directions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 12, 2009