We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

Lutz, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

I've been browsing the TA forum for information regarding a beachfront stay and feeling overwhelmed. We just decided last week to visit Destin for the the first time and are very excited! We are active 50's traveling without kids. Would like a nice place to stay beachfront, either condo or hotel Oct.2-6 (although may consider departing the 5th). Preferably a place within walking distance to popular local restaurants/bars but not mandatory. Budget preferred under $200/nt. Currently, the Henderson Park Inn is unavailable(was my first choice).

Thank you kindly for your input/assistance.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

Should have lots of options that will work with your budget, but the end of your stay is Destin Seafood Festival weekend, and many places will already be booked up for the weekend...

Try the Crystal Beach area of Destin for lots of beachfront condos....

United States
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

Embassy Suites in Miramar Beach has availability for those days, and is under $200. It is across the street from the beach. Hilton Sandestin is booked up for those days. (I know, I have too much time on my hands if I can look up their availability for a stranger).

Lutz, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

Thank you for the responses....lol doughnut! Going to talk to DH tonight about the options...narrowed down Sandestin Hilton and Crystal Beach...there is availability through various travel/condo rental sites for these areas...

United States
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

Good! I happen to like the Crystal Beach/Miramar Beach area, but that's me. I'm sure Sandestin is a great place to stay too. Baytowne Wharf, which is part of Sandestin, has plenty of entertainment. Actually, staying in a hotel instead of a condo will keep you from having to pay any cleaning fee.

Lutz, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

Leaning toward condo in the Crystal Beach/Miramar area or Coral Reef Club(area?). Not much available due to the seafood festival but that is understandable. We made this decision last minute so we'll have to take what we can get. Some of the options are Ariel Dunes, Majestic Sun, Beachwalk Villas, Emerald Waters, Sterling Sands, Edgewater. We want central location and beachfront(gulf views) with some amenities but have no idea which of these to pick...Any input appreciated.

United States
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

Sterling Sands isn't in the Crystal Beach area, but nothing wrong with it. Any of these places would work. I would look at the individual units that you know are available. They probably don't all face the gulf. Since that is what you want, you can eliminate some. Then look at how updated the remainders are, amenities, price, etc. I personally would choose Majestic Sun if the unit faced the gulf. In the summer that area is crazy busy, but shouldn't be now. I like its' location.

You'll get opinions here based on people's favorites. That might help. Better be deciding though . . .

Lutz, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

Well we booked our place....not for under $200 thought :( There really wasn't a lot of choice at this point for what we wanted.

Apparently not only is it seafood festival weekend but their school break??? I don't know...Doesn't really matter!

We're staying at the Coral Reef Club. I think the location is awesome and right on the beach can't be beat for us. We narrowed it down to this spot compared to Majestic Sun or Silver Beach Towers due to location primarily and being a low rise vs. mid/high rise.

Now....if anyone wants to make suggestions for MUST eats/bars I'd love to hear from you!!! Thanks for the help!

Lutz, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

Thanks for the suggestions...I think what they meant was it was a school break there and so people were booking condo's for the seafood festival too...I don't know...doesn't really matter just that everything was booked up and not as available as we thought it would be this time of year....

I know we'll have a great time and looking forward to a great time in this pretty part of Florida!!!

9. Re: Beachfront stay for first timers to Destin Oct. 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 27, 2014