We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Crowds- check this out

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northwest OH
14 posts
Save Topic
Beach Crowds- check this out

For those of you wondering how crowded each resort's stretch of beach gets, go to google maps and click on the top right to get the "satellite" view. At the top left in the search bar, type in whatever resort you are looking for (i.e. pelican beach resort destin, FL). You can see how crowded each resort is by typing in different resorts at the top left, it's a pretty cool tool to use.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Crowds- check this out

That is a very useful tool. I use it all the time to check mountain roads in the Gatlinburg area or to see how far a rental is from the beach and what is around the house or condo. Using Google maps can give you an idea of how crowded a resort can get, but I am pretty sure it's not a live picture. It could be from a couple of years ago on July 4th. I have googled my house before. It was summer but that picture had dead grass and a pond on the property that is no longer there.

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
326 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Crowds- check this out

I enjoy looking at all the web cams between Pensacola and Destin; as if I need a reminder of what I'm missing when I'm not there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
453 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Crowds- check this out

I torture myself every day - even through the winter looking at various Destin beach cams. The only time I'm not looking is when I'm actually there...

Northwest OH
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Crowds- check this out

If you look at edgewater resort and pelican beach resort on the google maps satellite you can see how packed those beaches get. But as previous post said, I have no idea when the picture is from.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
786 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Crowds- check this out

I use Google maps for tons of stuff also. It's a great tool to use. The picture is definately not a live shot though. Access it at 10 pm it will be the same picture you see at 10am. It would be nice if the pictures were at least labled with the month it was taken.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Crowds- check this out

You can see the date when image was taken on Google Earth.

baton rouge,la
Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Crowds- check this out

Thanks for the idea. I love it, I could spend hours just looking around.

8. Re: Beach Crowds- check this out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 07, 2014