We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waurika, Oklahoma
2 posts
Save Topic
House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

Has anyone stayed in the house on Open Gulf Street in Miramar Beach that is one home but the owner lives in the upstairs area?

After I already paid the security deposit, I found out that the owner lives in the 2 bedroom/2bath "unit" upstairs.

My only concern is we are taking 3 families (15 people) and I'm afraid that my husband's male family members might be too loud and this would cause a problem. I'm also frustrated that I didn't find this out until after I'd paid the deposit. I feel like it should've been made clear to me before. There is only a kitchenette downstairs and we will be cooking lots of large meals.

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

What does it matter that the owner lives upstairs or not? Family behavior should be the same no matter who would be upstairs, owner or other renter. It's called respect.

United States
Level Contributor
6,241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

A bigger concern might be if the rental is not supposed to house 15 people. If it just has a kitchenette, it doesn't sound very big. Depending on the contract you signed, you might get kicked out after arriving, and lose the entire monies you have paid. That would be a bigger problem than someone getting upset over the noise.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

Exactly what I thought, what is your concern do you have more people coming then you told the owners? I don't think it matters if the owners are upstairs or another renter, they are entitled to reasonable behavior. Now, as far as it being only a kitchenette, did you know that when you booked, if not, that would be a reason to be concerned.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

This one has me intrigued. Near the condo we stay at are huge houses that can handle multiple families, that's why they're built that way. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

United States
Level Contributor
6,241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

You might want to try to get out of the contract if it will be a problem for you that the owner is upstairs. You are not going to enjoy your time there if you are nervous about complaints. If you are violating the contract, you are certainly going to be nervous and not comfortable. Sorry people were not sympathetic here as you had probably hoped. It tends to be like that sometimes. Noticed this was your first post. TA is full of information. Keep posting!

Waurika, Oklahoma
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

We have a large family and cook all the meals on vacation and the full kitchen is upstairs in his part and we will only have a kitchenette. I was not aware of this. Also the big living area is upstairs so we won't get to use that either. I was under the impression we had access to the whole house, so now I've paid the deposit and am worried we won't have much "living" space.

He said that 15 people was fine. I told him this in the first inquiry I sent to him. The lower level of the house sleeps 14, and we will have 13-14 plus my daughter who is an infant. If it was only my family going I wouldn't be worried about any noise or problems with him being upstairs, but I'm afraid that we will have to walk on tiptoes in the house and thats hard to do with an infant and 5 other children. It's funny that the younger adults aren't so bad but my in-laws are just loud people in general. Its pretty annoying. Maybe this will keep them from being so loud.

I paid the deposit but have not signed the contract. There is nothing special in it, no roudiness or underage drinking which won't be happening. No noise disturbances after 10 pm.

I guess it just depends on the owner how he will handle our large group. Haha.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

StL, point well taken, thanks for reminding me that we're usually a more understanding bunch here on TA. Gator, definitely check into your situation. Most places will tell you how many they sleep and this sounds like a mismatch. The condo we stay at is probably about 1400 square feet, two stories, 2 1/2 baths yet sleeps only 8. It has a full kitchen and dining area. The owner has listed a maximum occupancy. There's also a limit to the number or parking spaces at some locations. I hope it works out for you, Destin is a wonderful vacation spot.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

If you are not happy about the kitchenette and cooking, you might mention that to them. The owner might refund your deposit. A kitchenette would work for light breakfasts and sandwiches for lunch. But if you cook all your meals in could be hard.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

Cooking in a condo can be a challenge. Not all area fully equipped, then you may not have basic ingredients (sugar, salt, pepper etc.) When you buy the groceries you have to be careful not to over-buy. I work off the same basic list every year, otherwise you're trying to find someone to give the leftovers to or throw away a lot of food.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: House rental in Miramar Beach- Owner lives upstairs?

This does not sound good to me. How can you hope to cook for 15 people in a kitchenette? Even if 15 people are trying to be somewhat quiet they can't be all the time. I would think the purpose of this vacation to to have lots of laughs and fun together.

You should not have to worry about some noise. Some families are just big, fun-loving and loud. I think it is time to cut your losses and pick another place that has a full kitchen and more room.