We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brown Water

Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Brown Water

We're on Okaloosa island, but the water is just as brown as it is back home. It looked so blue in all the pictures. What's the deal?

Ooltewah, Tennessee
Level Contributor
100 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Brown Water

@judith4707 this is our second day in Destin and the water is gorgeous. So clear and free of seaweed. We have been here many times and the water quality so far is one of the best that I've seen. We visited in May and the water had a lot of seaweed. In the late afternoon once the tide rolls in, the water is turning brown, but we are done at the beach by 2 after being out there since 8:30-9 so it's no biggie, we are done at the beach by then anyway. Once the morning comes, the water is perfection. No complaints here.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Brown Water

It's brown. We just left today I was really bummed.

Ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Brown Water

I'm still here ;) It was okay early afternoon but started getting a little "dirty" later.

Ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Brown Water

Apparently, there's a storm, way out, churning stuff up? Supposed to "hit" Saturday?

Alabama
Level Contributor
971 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Brown Water

That's what they're saying. Latest update showed it where Destin (and my house 1.5 hours straight north) will be on the East side....the worst place to be.

katy, tx
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Brown Water

Its too early to tell where it will hit and how strong it will be, if it even develops into a hurricane. Some models take it to lower TX. Time frame is about 5 days from now. I'm more concerned about the one after it that is now forming off the coast of Africa.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Brown Water

Jeff Master of Wunderground is predicting it to be a weak tropical storm hitting W Louisiana to Panhandle on Saturday giving us 4+ inches of more rain. Also predicting the one off Africa to eventually head over Bermuda.

Just another rainy weekend - d***

destin florida
Level Contributor
540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Brown Water

The brown water is created by the rain water run off from the land. It will continue as long as the heavy rains pound us.

1 post
Save Reply
29. Re: Brown Water

August 16th and the jetties are still brown. There is no way to see more than a foot in front of your mask. This is different from the soupy sea-weed that is normal from rain. It is an aweful dark brown. I waited all year for this. Horrible. Ill be on here next year to see how it is before i come back.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Brown Water

Those of us who vacation in the Destin area are truly spoiled by clear turquoise water! Ever go to the east coast? Brown and murky from Maine to central FL! Texas? Same. Even 60 miles in either direction from Destin brings a greenish brown tinge and lack of clarity.

It is still the beach, it is still warm, and as long as the seaweed stays away (which i think it has, for the most part this year), it is fun to play in. The sand is still white and soft and cool and even with brown water it is still better than 99% of the beaches in the US! And you might catch a break and have those postcard days a few times.

We've been coming to the area for over 25 years now, and honestly, the summer is a crapshoot on water conditions even in drought years! Tropical storms stir it up, seaweed moves in and out, the coastal lakes flow into the gulf, etc. I don't think we've EVER had 7 gorgeous water days in a row on our summer trip. Go to the Bahamas for that!