We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me decide

atlanta
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help me decide

I want a relaxing vacation mainly at the pool abd beach with a few trips to arcade and putt putt and at least 1 trip to the Hard Rock at Destin Commons. It is a total of 6 adults and 4 children (ages 9,8,4 and 6 months). I am looking at 4 places (Maravilla, Beach Resort, Beach Retreat -all 3 in the general same area and Destin West. I know that Destin West is in Ft Walton. If we stay at Destin West, how far are the condos in walking distance to the gulf. Also, how far are good restaurants and at least 1 arcade and/or putt putt? Any input would be appreciated. I am leaning toward Destin West due to the samller crowd. Oh yeah, this is for July 4th week.

Thanks

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me decide

July 4th? You picked the most crowded time of the year. Forget small crowds anywhere. Every place will be packed.

There is no comparison between Ft. Walton and Destin.

atlanta
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me decide

I know I picked the craziest time to go. Unfortunately, that is the only time we can all go. My 4 year old grandson is being treated for cancer and will not be able to go before then. He has an ok from his doctor to go by the 1st week of July, but he has to begin other treatment after that so we are limited to that week. I have stayed in the Beaches of South Walton, Pensacola and Destin. I have never stayed in Fort Walton so I was trying to get an idea of how it was set up. Last year we went to Hilton Head and enjoyed it. I am leaning more toward Ft Walton Beach but I just was not sure.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me decide

You may want to post your Ft. Walton Questions on the Ft. Walton Forum. I am a local Destinite, but can't tell you much of anything about Ft. Walton. Maybe LocalChick will sign on. She knows about Okaloosa Island.

If you want to know about locations is an around Destin, try going to this map. It has a LOT of places marked.

http://www/communitywalk.com/map/2872

Hope the little one gets better. I would let him swim in the Gulf, but NOT in the Bay.

Valparaiso, Florida
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me decide

There aren't very many restaurants on Okaloosa Island or in FWB that we like - the Bay Cafe (French, not really a kid place), a couple of Thai places. Mostly we go to Destin to eat out now.

You can get typical beach-place seafood (translation, good view generally equals sub-par dining) at Angler's Restaurant and the kids will have a good time playing on the playground there and walking out on the big fishing pier. (The Crab Trap and The Back Porch fall under this same category.)

Personally, if I've spent all day at the beach, I'd just as soon skip the view at dinner and eat something better.

Definitely eat before you go to Hard Rock, lol. Search the forum for "restaurants" to find locals' recommendations. The Bluepoint Fish Club at the commons has good food. Bogwalk gets good reviews but I haven't tried it yet.

Mini-golf and arcades are available in Destin and on the island.

I still haven't been by Destin West so I can't say how far it would be from the gulf. I wouldn't recommend crossing hwy 98 on foot, though, especially with kids in tow. Drive and park even if you're just across the highway. Unfortunately visitors get hit every year.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me decide

Forget Bogwalk. It has been closed nearly a year.

Valparaiso, Florida
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me decide

Guess I missed my chance. I've walked past it probably 6 times this week alone and haven't noticed it was closed.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me decide

Megan - the food wasn't very good, PLUS, they had the awful tables!! If you tried to put your legs under them, you would hit the legs and bruise up your knees.

Valparaiso, Florida
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me decide

Thanks, now I don't feel like I missed out. Good riddance, and someone please put something good in there.

Get answers to your questions about Destin