We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelling?

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Shelling?

Can you tell me where in Destin we could do some shelling? We've been there before and although I love the soft white sand, there aren't any shells in the area we stay. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Cookeville, TN
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelling?

There really isn't any shells in Destin. If you want shelling, you should try Sanibel! The

shelling is great there. In fact, they have a name for the people that shell. It's called the

"Sanibel stoop" because of how you stoop to pick up shells. There are so many there!

But in the Destin area....afraid not. Sorry.

2. Re: Shelling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:07 pm, December 16, 2004
DA
western,ky.
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelling?

On the other side of panama city is St. George island that has alot of shells that are along the beach. We picked up all we could carry in just a short walk down the beach. We usually have a day that we need a little break from the sun so we drive over and then come back to eat at capt. andersons on our way back. You go thru some small little beach towns on the gulf so there is lots to look at.It is about a one to one and a half hour drive from the san destin area.

Mount Holly, NC
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelling?

If you want great shelling, go to Marco Island, Florida.We just returned from vacation Oct. 15th thru Oct. 22nd.I picked up 3 large bags of shells (enough shells to fill upa large floor lamp that i bought while i was at Marco Island).Also, go early in the morning (right before sunrise) andyou will find lots of sand dollars at TigerTail Beach.We went to Sanibel 6 years ago and was so amazed atthe wonderful shells that we had found at the time.But we went to Sanibel on Oct. 15th, we were so shockedand upset at the devastaion from Hurricane Charley.The island has lost about 75% of it's trees.The hurricane had even affected the color of the oceanmaking the water brown instead of it's beautiful color of green.Hopefully, the island will be able to make a comeback fromHurricane Charley. I will definitely go back sometime.Also, Capitva Island has substained substantial damageand was told that it may be next September before theyare truly back to normal.Hope you enjoy going to Marco Island as much as myhusband and i did. I will be back for more shells.Sherri Wright

Level Contributor
1,424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelling?

You can take a short boat trip from Panama City to an island called Shell Island.There are no shells on the beaches in Destin.The beaches in this area are different than most. Most beaches have sand that is made up of tiny pieces of shells, however, here the sand here in Destin is made from quartz.

Cookeville, TN
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shelling?

I'm really sorry to hear about Sanibel. We loved it there! That's really a shame.

I do hope that it recovers quickly.