We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

june grass/seaweed

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
june grass/seaweed

What is the earliest the june grass has shown up over the last few summers? April or May?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: june grass/seaweed

It seldom hits in April ( I can only recall once) But this winter has been very warm - just depends on which way the wind is gonna blow. Fingers crossed it stays away. They did just put out the purple flag today. That hasn't been out in a long time - but I heard that Panama City had a lot of jellies a couple of weeks ago so maybe they are blowing here now.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: june grass/seaweed

Hey Miramar,

Did you see any jellies roll in?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: june grass/seaweed

Haven't been walking on the beach the last couple of days - just driving by because it is too busy. But plenty of people in the water so if there are jellies - they are stopping them

Mn
Level Contributor
430 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: june grass/seaweed

I predict a light summer for Junegrass...If you ask why, it's because I can't be there this year, duh...Spent my money in DFW a couple weeks ago.

Also, because I'm hanging my hat on the low flooding levels of the Mississippi thru NO. Just a unscientific wild guess though. I'll be keeping tabs on the conversations.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: june grass/seaweed

That is a interesting point about the flood levels - hopefully you are correct.

I try to predict if we will have hurricanes by where the turtles put their nest - if it is far from the water they are[planning for tropical weather and if it is near the water - they do not sense the need to go far to protect their nest from getting washed away..

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: june grass/seaweed

So the theory is if the Mississippi River hasn't flooded too bad in the deep south (namely MS & LA), then the June Grass will be less supposedly? But if it has frequent flooding issues, then the higher chances of more June Grass to be present? Am I undestanding the theory correctly?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: june grass/seaweed

Wishing said that was an unscientific wild guess not a theory. Just don't want to have people take that info as a proven fact.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: june grass/seaweed

Okay Texas, understand your point...as the word theory is loosely used in todays English language as not proven (regardless of actual definition), that is what I meant . I think the average person would understand my phrasing...so let me rephrase...

Is that the belief (without proven facts) by some then?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: june grass/seaweed

Less flooding upstream would mean less nitrogen runoff from fertilizers washing into the gulf, and therefore, hopefully less algae, and june grass. Last year we had a tremendous amount of flooding.

Here is a short explanation.

"The principal nutrient of concern in coastal waters is nitrogen. Our use of commercial fertilizer and combustion of fossil fuels has had a dramatic effect on the global nitrogen cycle. U.S. coastal ecosystems are receiving one hundred to four hundred percent more nitrogen than natural systems would experience…Ninety percent of the nitrogen pollution that contributes to the ‘dead zone’ in the Gulf of Mexico is discharged to tributaries in the Mississippi and Ohio River watersheds from farms and cities located north of St. Louis, MO."

Save Reply
10. Re: june grass/seaweed

Any updates on June grass this yr?

In town on June 2. Would like to know conditions

Get answers to your questions about Destin