We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

Somerville, MA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

My partner and I are in our fourties. We're looking for a place for a long weekend vacation in March, but unfortunately, I get time off from teaching the same time all my students get their SPRING BREAK. (natch).

I do *not* want to spend *my* Spring Break surrounded by drunken college students on *their* Spring Break. (I'll have to deal with their hang-overs when I get back). But we do want a sandy beach, laid-back atmosphere, a little culture etc.

Is Destin a good place for us in late March?

-thanks!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

Depending on the week this may not be a busy one.

Indiana
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

I've stayed 5 times in Summer's Edge in Seagrove Beach and every time there are at least 6-7 houses in the neighborhoos rented by college groups from Alabama, Clemson and Geogia. One was actually evicted after two days. But compared to Panama City Beach, Seagrove/Seaside not even nearly as crazy with college spring break activity. Pretty snoozer in terms of any nightlife. Great for familes and small kids.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

Take JetBlue/AirTran/Southwest to Ft Myers and book Sanibel or Captiva or Naples. You will not see a single drunk college student. Trust me (and it's warmer than Destin).

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

Mary, whatever floats your boat! We've been going to Destin for 20 years and love it. We do try and avoid the classic college spring break times when GA/AL are down there. I've also been to Sanibel/Captivia/Ft. Myers a half dozen times. I enjoy the tropical foliage and wild life but much prefer the beaches of Destin. Also, for anyone driving, Destin is much closer.

If your goal is to avoid college kids and be guaranteed a warm spring, yes, then head further south (say hi to Randy Wayne White for me over on Sanibel, Love his writing.)

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

Spring Breakers don't seem to be a problem on Okaloosa Island / Fort Walton Beach....

It's a great family atmosphere. Nothing to draw the party crowd.

Bug Tussle
Level Contributor
1 post
231 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

read the nightmare Trip Advisor Reviews of the Henderson Inn and think again!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

To others who read the above post by HappyCamper, use some healthy skepticism regarding that comment. When I saw it, I was surprised and confused. I'd not heard much negative about the Inn so I checked the reviews. There are page after page of extremely positive reviews. There are only 5 at the "poor or terrible" level out of 300 reviews and less than 20% were average or very good! WHAT?!!

So, first, that comment has nothing to do with the actual topic of this thread, second, I had a hard time finding any nightmare reviews. There was one disgruntled reviewer, who didn't even stay there. We did investigate staying there, we found the Inn beautiful and the decor enchanting. However, we prefer larger units such as condos, personal preference.

Just a reminder to read all comments and reviews with a grain of salt.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

I felt the same way FTG. First I looked at the date of the OP's post which was way back in Jan. of 2012. The OP would have taken the Spring Break trip months ago. Then I checked the current reviews of the HPI and like you, saw only positive current reviews.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

I find it interesting that Happy Camper dug up an old thread and made his first and only post about this. Sounds like he has an axe to grind.

30. Re: Is Destin a "Spring Break" destination?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 26, 2014