We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is gulf warm enough to swim? YES

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Is gulf warm enough to swim? YES

Despite my screen name, I'm not a big fan of cold water and as this has been a recurring topic for spring visitors I thought I'd give an update. IMHO, the gulf is definitely warm enough for frolicking in. As we walked along the beach and I got splashed, my first reaction was OH! Then within a couple seconds it felt fine. NOT like Lake Michigan Fine and you get-numb-so-you-can't-feel-it, but the Hey,-this-feels-pretty-good kind of fine. Family was even swimming in it, but I prefer pools. Remember, water temps in much deeper water are colder, and lately we're getting south winds which bring the top surface water in.

But as always, watch the flags. Earlier we had two days of extremely rough water, so bad that NO-ONE, not even the idiots went in.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is gulf warm enough to swim? YES

We've been here since Saturday, and we've been in every day. Haven't seen any flags. But, as I look out from the balcony (Silver Shells), I see no one on the beach at 9am, which as not been the case. I'm wondering why. I don't see any flags from here.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is gulf warm enough to swim? YES

If I remember correctly - last Saturday the flags were red - since then they have been yellow. Don't know why no one is on your beach

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is gulf warm enough to swim? YES

Oh, they are now! RED flags waving!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is gulf warm enough to swim? YES

We still have yellow in Walton County

Edited: 4:05 pm, April 20, 2011
5. Re: Is gulf warm enough to swim? YES

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 30, 2012