We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Conditions

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Road Conditions

I will be driving into Destin on December 27 from Florala, just wondered what was the best way to get into Destin. I was not sure if any of the roads/bridges were still damages from the hurricanes.

USA
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Conditions

All roads in Florida are passable. I think the damaged roads and bridges would be in Mississippi & Louisiana.

The only bridge that sustained damage was the Pensacola bridge last year in hurricane Ivan. It is still temporary, but fully open, up and running. From Florala you don't have to worry about it.

From Florala, I would just take 331 straight down to Hwy 98. At that corner is the Walton County Tourist Development building.

If you turn West, (left) you will be going toward Destin. I believe it is about 12 miles from there.

Where is your final destination in Destin?

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Conditions

Are you sure you meant to say a "left" turn?

signal mtn, tn
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Conditions

From Florala, it might be more expedient to take RT 85 S which will eventually lead you to RT 20 East. Take RT 20 East for 5 or 6 miles (following signs for Mid-Bay Bridge)

Go over the the bridge and you will be at the Destin Commons/ Publix shopping areas.

The bridge will cost $2,50 but I think you'll save a good 20 minutes versus RT. 331. and be in the heart of Destin.

USA
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Conditions

John - Thank you for catching that. It is a RIGHT turn onto Hwy 98.

Sorry about that.

USA
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Conditions

Please disregard the instructions to Hwy 85. That will throw you past Destin and you will have to back track to get to Destin.

The Florala Chamber's web site is here with directions.

http://www.gtcom.net/~tricity/florala.html

However, when it says to take the Mid-Bay Bridge to 331, it should read take the Mid-Bay Bridge to Hwy 20 E then North on 331.

(That is from Destin to Florala Just reverse it to get from Florala to Deatin)

signal mtn, tn
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Conditions

To User Disabled: If you do not adhere to the road signs for RT 20 E and the billboards for the Mid Bay Bridge when you are driving on RT 85 S, you will, in fact, find yourself in Fort Walton Beach. One of the primary purposes of the Mid-Bay Bridge

is to give travelers a quicker route to Destin. Having taken RT 85 S and RT 331 S on many occasions, I find that the RT 331 S route is a bit more scenic and the RT 85 S/ RT 20 E route is quicker. If the final destination is east of the Silver Sands Outlet Mall, I would take RT 331 S. If the final destination is the Scenic 98 area or the traditional Destin area, I would take RT 85 S/ RT 20 E

7. Re: Road Conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 pm, December 19, 2005
signal mtn, tn
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Conditions

User Disabled : You are an embarassment to this website. First, you give directions that will take the driver the wrong way on RT 98 (perhaps it's your Destin short cut via Panama City). Then, you tell someone that taking RT 85 will take you past Destin into Fort Walton Beach. Third, you give convoluted directions that must be reversed.

You then surmise that because I am from Tennessee I can't possibly know anything about routes to Destin. Uh, Hello, I own a home in Destin and take both routes to get there. The only thing you have said that is factual is the part of your post where you say that " I must be stupid" On that point, you are correct.

9. Re: Road Conditions

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 pm, December 19, 2005
10. Re: Road Conditions

Removed on: 2:24 pm, December 19, 2005