We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late March Weather

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
215 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Late March Weather

Hello. I've never been to Destin but are looking into a visit the last week in March. What can I expect temperature wise?

Thanks.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late March Weather

You could have highs in the 80's or highs in the 60's - late March would probably average 75 degrees during the day.

Georgia
Level Contributor
639 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late March Weather

The water would be too cold for me but I'm from the south so not as used to the cold as you may be.

Kansas City, KS
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Late March Weather

Yeah, It'll seriously be 85 one day and 65 the next. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Juneau AK
Level Contributor
615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late March Weather

The weather in Destin in late March is starting to warm up, but it can still be iffy. Average high temp is probably 70, but 70 is an average and may not be what you will get. It all depends on whether a late season cold front comes through. However, if you are there for a whole week you will likely get some nice days sometime during your stay. If you want to increase your chances of warmer weather, you will have to head farther south in Florida, but the beaches will not be as nice as Destin.

Unless you are super-cold blooded, the Gulf in Destin will be too cool for swimming in late March.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late March Weather

I'm skeptical of the 85 degree claim, I've never seen it that warm then, plus there's often a breeze on the gulf. It's usually calmer in the morning, so even tho it may be cooler, we'll do beach time in the morning. Enjoy the area, it's beautiful.

Kansas City, KS
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Late March Weather

We've been down the last couple of years around that time and it's been fine. This is from weather.com, check out the highs, lows and averages.

www.weather.com/weather/monthly/32541?month=1

You'll see plenty of temperatures in the low to mid 80's and other temperatures dipping down to 65 like I said.

AWAY with the Skepticism!!!

Edited: 3:44 pm, February 08, 2010
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late March Weather

Well, the average high is 73, they have the record highs listed also, but if you take the two weeks of 72, 23 and 74, you get 73. Skeptic? No math-tic.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late March Weather

We were there for spring break in March three or four years ago and it was in the mid 80's and we were all sunburned. I have also been there during the same time and were in sweatshirts using a towel wrapped around us to keep warm.

Kansas City, KS
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Late March Weather

Yeah it's really just a game of luck. The last couple of years it's been in the mid 80's and then it drops rapidly. "Math-tic" is not a word. Listen to the Beach Dude rather than the Frozen Tundra thing, March could be warm or it could be cold.

Do yourself a favor and plan to come the first week of May.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late March Weather

Truce Beach guy, I agree May would solve all the problems. I wish I had a nickle for every April we've been down there and someone says, "Oh, you should have been here last week, it was beautiful then!"

Unfortunately, the trips revolved around school breaks so that wasn't an option. We did have a warm, wonderful spring last year and are hoping for the same this year, ( this is being written during a winter storm....)