We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

Many posts rolling in with fishing questions, let's get them answered - we are known as the World's Luckiest Fishing Village for a reason.

I just went on a 10 hour trip yesterday (7/22/09) with Capn Kelly Windes on the Sunrise.

Pics:

http://thewiredagent.com/DestinFishing.html

Sunrise info:

destin-charter-fishing.com/html/rates___info…

This is serious fishing and is a true expedition. I went with 4 friends from Missouri including wives to make a party of 5. The trip cost $1650 + mate tip.

We maxed our limits on amberjack (5) all in the 20lb+ class, snapper (10) all in the 4lb+ class, king mackeral (10) with two over 40lbs. We also added one schoolie Maui-Maui, a handful of bonita and a large lemon shark (8 feet long) which was released.

Not one grouper bite (very unusual) and we lost a large wahoo- bummer! We gave away at least 40lbs of king mackeral but I still have a freezer full of amberjack and snapper. I will try making a smoked fish dip with the king mack and will also bbq some up. It is not nearly as tasty as the snapper and amberjack which will be plank grilled as well as made into k-bobs.

If the charter boat costs are prohibitive there are party boats available- New Florida Girl, Destin Princess and Swoop all are large boats that do not go out as far and will put you on smaller fish. Tackle and bait are provided. Google Destin party boats and all of these are on page 1. Costs are around $70 per person for short trips.

I also believe the Little Nemo is targeted for youngsters accompanied by their parents. I saw the boat yesterday as we were coming in and it was full of happy faced little anglers:

destin-charter-fishing.com/html/little_nemo.…

Opportunities for land fishing include bridges, jetties, surf, bayfront and the Okaloosa Pier.

Know the licensing requirements:

myfwc.com/license/…SWF

And the size and number of fish limits:

http://www.floridasportsman.com/regs/

Have fun!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

chrushing macadamia nuts as we speak. you are either lucky or good one my friend as that haul would easily surpass my lifetime achievement in fishing. well done!

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

hey BBQ-

MBL and I were just talking about you last week, wondering if you're coming this year?

You should post that macadamia nut recipe for crusting fish, sounded great!

Illinois
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

>Opportunities for land fishing include bridges, >jetties, surf, bayfront and the Okaloosa Pier.

Can you explain how to find these places? I know about the Pier, and the jetties, and Henderson Park. Where else can we fish from land? Husband is not interested in a deep sea expedition (and frankly, we don't have the money). Also, where do you buy a fishing license? Thanks!

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

Get your license online here:

https://www3.wildlifelicense.com/fl/start.php

or you can go to Wally World.

You could also park under the Marler Bridge (Destin pass) and wade out by the Coast Guard station or cast under the bridge. Ride along Beach Dr. towards the bay from HWY 98 and you'll see several other spots to pull over and wade in the bay.

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

JM, WOW is all I can say. Thanks for the info as it answered alot of our questions!!

We saw redfish and others at the harbor but those fish are HUGE LOL.

I am totally new at fishing. And our boys don't want to go on a 1/2 day deep sea fishing trip.

But usually what kind of fish can you expect to get from a 1/2day trip?

Is there an opportunity to see sharks on a 1/2 day one or do they not go out far enough?

Just curious did Ms. Mammy go?

Did the wives of your friends get seasick??? That would be my fear of getting so seasick.

Great pics!!!

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

WallaB-

Ms Mammy elected to pass, she's not much of a fisherwoman.

The other gals that went did a fine job and loved it. They both took Bonine which is very popular around here for preventing seasickness and does not make one drowsy. They had to go to several places to find it as it was sold out their first couple of stops.

I really cannot comment on half day trips here, I've done them in S. FL but not around here. I've been on about 5 different charter boats around here for full days and the Sunrise blows the rest away for pure BIG fish catching production.

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

Hey JM, thanks for your reply!! I was afraid I asked too many questions lol. I actually never thought of myself as much of a fisherwoman but the interest is there now with our possible 2nd trip to Destin, I say possible as we haven't made our condo yet.

Didn't know about Bonine so thats good to know.

I think we are going to fish from the pier since our kiddos don't want to go on a 1/2 day trip. Hubby DEFINITELY wants to fish from the pier this time as do I.

And we will go to the harbor to see hopefullly big catches come in. We sure like the harbor area!!

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

Awesome pictures! This is the first year in a long time that we didn't fish in Destin and we really missed it. Some of my favorite pictures of my family were taken on a fishing boat in Destin. We might have to plan another trip to do the things that we missed on our summer trip.

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

As one with much experience with sea sickness I suggest taking a dose of the medicine the night before you go out, just before bed. You will sleep well. The next morning take another dose. The second dose will not make you as sleepy and will work better because you already have some of the medicine in your system.

The best thing for sea sickness, in my experience, is the patch but it requires a prescription.

I remember some years ago, sailing in the Baleric Islands and getting sea sick. I went into a pharmacy, and speaking no Spanish, had to pantomime seasickness to explain what I needed. That was a pretty sight. But the pharmacist quickly figured it out and gave me dramamine (at least I think it was dramamine). Who knows? It could have been anything. But whatever it was, it worked!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JoeMammy's Destin Fishing Primer - '09 Version

looks like november before we'll get back at this point. been a busy summer here. i always enjoy reading your informative posts, so keep up the good work!