We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks

Campbellsville, KY
9 posts
Save Topic
Sharks

Should we really worry about the shark situation in the Gulf right now? Is it really a problem or is the media having a good time? any tips as well?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks

honetsly no, but shark week was on last week on the discovery channel while i was in sanibel and the title was...Predators in the Panhandle! lol, which was very enlightening.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks

Worry? No. We are in the shark's environment. If you stay away from bait pods, don't go in the water if you are bleeding, don't go out past the sandbars and don't swim at night you'll be fine.

Campbellsville, KY
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks

Thanks..i appreciate the info. my entire family, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins...are going to Destin, we're staying at the Majestic Sun. I don't go very far out in the water myself (unless beers are involved to relax me :) but i was worried about the little kids. Maybe i should start another post for this, but does anyone know anything about the majestic sun? we usually stay at The Beach House Condos...

Destin,Florida
Level Contributor
238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks

You really shouldn't worry about sharks. Always be aware that predators are in the water, but don't let that spoil your fun.

Do not swim at dawn or at dusk, or at night.

Do not swim while bleeding.

Be careful of how far out you are.

If you see lots of bait in the water, stay away from that spot.

Do not swim where lots of people are fishing.

Do not wear your "bling bling" in the water. But this is more for the baracudas, but as a precaution for sharks as well.

Have a safe and fun trip.

Frisco (Dallas), TX
Level Contributor
380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks

"If you see lots of bait in the water, stay away from that spot."

What do you mean by this? Does someone really put out bait for sharks? Sorry if this is a dumb question :)

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks

Bait as in bait fish - schools of little fish flipping in and out of the water - easily noticeable.

Baiting sharks is called chumming -

Yes, there are sharks in the Gulf - but you've got a better chance of being affected by rip currents (drowning) or being struck by lightning.

The idiotic media just loves the 'JAWS" theme stuff....

Just use common sense and the recommendations from the other replies above.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks

Just had to add to this - drinking alcohol and swimming are not a good mix. With riptides, sharks, etc. I think it's important to be coherent and sober. Your comment about drinking beer might not have been a serious one, but I thought it was worth commenting on.

Campbellsville, KY
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks

oh linda, of course not, being in the ocean and not having all my wits about me doesn't like fun...and it was not a serious comment. no worries.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks

That's good to hear Iheart! I never know what to take seriously in this forum anymore!

Mars
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks

Never enter the water WITHOUT a Beer in your hand !!