We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any laid back local bars with live music?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Any laid back local bars with live music?

My family, who typically visits Gulf Shores, is traveling to Destin in August and we are hoping to find a cool local bar to patronize when we leave the kiddos with the grandparents for a night or two. We've been to Destin before, and while the beaches and water are superior, we haven't found anything comparable to the Florabama in the Destin area, but is there anything even close? Looking for something local, laid back, with live music, near or on the water, a good crowd, and welcoming to all age groups (we've got several fun-loving generations in the group, i.e. 20, 30, 40 and maybe even a few 50-somethings). Been reading the board, and it appears AJ's might fit the bill, but would like some more feedback. Touristy places are fine, but we're desperately trying to avoid hanging out at a place like Chili's, Fudpuckers, etc.

Thanks

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any laid back local bars with live music?

You should hit AJs, a huge tiki bar overlooking the harbor. Live music every night and Sunday afternoons. Mixed crowd of visitors and locals.

Whenever I have friends visiting I always bring them to AJs at least one night and they always love it.

Hogs Breath also has a very good house band that plays almost every night. It is not on the water but does have an outdoor bar that overlooks HWY 98 (our main drag).

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any laid back local bars with live music?

Another suggestion might be The Boathouse, also on the harbor and walking distance from AJs. This place has no frills and is a locals hangout, extremely laid back. Tommy is always playing whatever the crowd wants to hear from Buffett to George Jones.

There are dollar bills and ladies undergarments stuck on the walls and ceiling.

And everybody in the small building has one thing in common - they are having fun!

They also have the best gumbo in Destin, IMO.

Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any laid back local bars with live music?

AJ's probably is closest to what you're looking for. We've had fun there for years. Sometimes, parking is a little worrysome but other than that, a good time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any laid back local bars with live music?

Thank you both for your help! We'll definitely check those places out.

destin, fl
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any laid back local bars with live music?

dont get the gumbo at hogs breath though

unless you like alot of "parts" if you know what I mean

IL
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any laid back local bars with live music?

Ditto the Boathouse recommendation...and the gumbo. Did it survive Dennis? I keep asking but haven't heard. Hard to find but love the atmosphere.

IL
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any laid back local bars with live music?

actually, should have said hard to find a parking spot!

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any laid back local bars with live music?

Being from Lousiana....I must comment that

a) gumbo outside of Louisiana cannot be acceptable.

b) true gumbo SHOULD have parts in it.

Gumbo...or gumbeaux...is not for the weak of heart or spirit.