We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need destin info

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
14 posts
Save Topic
need destin info

i'm new to destin and really want some help. I checked google and all the destin sites but can't seem to figure this out. Is Holiday isle a seperate town or part of destin? There are cliffs in destin? Where is Noriega pointe? Where's the best place to eat? Can i swim with the dolphins? Do the parasail boats take off from the beach? Are the jelly fish aggressive? Is the water blue or green? Is there seaweed? Does it attack you? What's the best route to take? When is destin not crowded? Is there a high season?

Thanks!

Frisco (Dallas), TX
Level Contributor
380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need destin info

The water is blue/green with pure white sand.

Don't know if the jelly fish are agressive. There are times when there are more in the area than others but that varies. Yes, there is seaweed .. same with the jelly fish. Going back to Destin at the middle/end of August and it is not as crowded and is cheaper. High season is May, June & July.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need destin info

Holiday Isle is part of Destin. The cliffs are new since the last hurricane. I believe Noriega Point is part of Holiday Isle (also known as Norriego Point.) The best place to eat is Fudpuckers. You can't swim with the dolphins, but occasionally you can swim with the sharks, if that's your thing. Parasail Boats drop from the sky like parachutes but there's no airplane. The only jellyfish I've ever seen were dead. The water isn't blue or green, it's bluish green (or is it greenish-blue?) Yes, there is seaweed, but it only attacks when provoked. The best route to take to Destin is a straight line. Destin is not crowded in the middle of a hurricane. Apparently "high" season is right now from the looks of the recent posts.

Did I miss anything?

Yppub, where are you?

Level Contributor
1,424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need destin info

I think you are doing a fine job Lindabobhat.

PA
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: need destin info

Are there sharks at destin or just at Gulf Shores?

IL
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need destin info

lol....another rocket scientist

lacombe, la
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: need destin info

Welcome to the lets be mean to the newcomers forum.

Broken Bow, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: need destin info

There can be sharks anywhere in the ocean at any time. 3

attacks while I was there in June.

Destin,Florida
Level Contributor
238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: need destin info

Holiday Isle is in Destin. A lovely place. Nooriega pointe is a little place of beach that you can get to from Holiday Isle, or from a boat in the harbor. No cliffs in destin. The only cliffs that we would have here would be made from the latest hurricane. We have sand dunes and some of them used to before Ivan and Dennis used to be huge, and you are not allowed to get on them. You cannot swim with the dolphins, not aware of anyplace that would let you, other than for therapy for children and those are not located here. Jelly fish are NOT aggressive, the just drift towards you and they are not always a problem, just certain times of year it seems. Parasail from the boats in gulf or bay, they have a mechanical hoist to put you up and take you down, you stand on back of boat. Water is emerald in color depending on whether there has been a storm recently, but really beautiful emerald in color. Seaweed, is a plant and cannot attack you. It may drift toward you with the waves. Not sure what is the best route for you to take. Destin is always crowded in summer, not crowded in the winter before snow birds come and then still not anywhere near summer crowds. High season is right now. Locals really just say season. IMO Fudpuckers is horrible, food not good just a tourist trap. Depending on what kind of food you are after I cannot recommend a place to eat.

lacombe, la
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: need destin info

Fudpuckers does have horrible food, but its a fun place to hang out at. You can sit at the bar, have a drink, listen to live music and have the little kids right there. Just don't eat the food.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need destin info

Um - my reply was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I was replying to a somewhat riduculous post with a little humor. I don't really think that Fudpucker's is the best restaurant in Destin. Or that parasail boats drop out of the sky.