We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelling at Destin???

Kansas City
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Shelling at Destin???

Hi-- My hubby and I travel to Destin EVERY year! Love it!! First, I want to say my thoughts are with any locals who suffered damage as a result of the storms.

Recently, I've been seeing info about Destin being one of the 5 best shelling areas in the US????

I have never seen a shell larger than a pencil eraser on the beaches in Destin, so I'm a bit confused. Where in Destin would you actually find great shelling ... without having to scuba?

Also, thinking about taking a Nathanial Bowditch cruise this year. Normally, we just fish with Olin Marler and play. Anyone been on the Bowditch before? What was your impression.

Thanks!

lacombe, la
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelling at Destin???

You might not want to mention shells.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelling at Destin???

Why??? I don't normally follow this forum (just found it a couple days ago).

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelling at Destin???

It is my understanding that the deepwater trough not too far offshore from the Destin area is where many shells are harvested commercially.

Level Contributor
1,424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelling at Destin???

LOL. Yes shells was a very ugly subject yesterday with Darke.

I have never seen a shell larger than a pencil eraser on the beaches in Destin

And you never will. Enough said. Do a search on large shells and read the heated post from yesterday. But maybe you can ask Darke from Ohio where he got those really HUGE shells that none of the locals have EVER seen!

You may be hearing about a place off Panama City Beach called Shell Island. I don't know a lot about it except boats go there twice a day. From Panama City Beach.

Destin,Florida
Level Contributor
238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelling at Destin???

Mushmouse, you are correct about the shells being no larger than a pencil eraser, although some one who posts under the name darke traveler will try to tell you different. But I live here and have NEVER seen any large shells either.

Never been on the Nathanial Bowdich either.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shelling at Destin???

Thanks everyone. Here's a couple of sites that include the Destin shelling claim. www.segetaway.com/FL/Destin/Activities.htm

www.destin-fwb.com/Activities/Water/?c=31

One of the sites with the info was the Destin FWB site, so I thought it might have been credible. I've seen the same identical vergiage reiterated on a number of sites, but most seem to suggest you need to go a mile or so offshore.

The Nathanial Bowditch site also has a shelling cruise.

http://www.bowditchsailing.com/ (click daycruises/shelling safari).

Now you can see why I asked about shelling. :)

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shelling at Destin???

As a longtime Destin resident the only big shells I've seen around here are on the backs of turtles.

I did see some nice ones a couple years ago when they dug a trench on Noriega Point for the new sea wall, they were about 5 feet down...

Diving outside of the jettys will produce alot of sanddollars and hermit crabs - but the animals are still in the shell.

Level Contributor
1,424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shelling at Destin???

PLEASE, don't even start about

http://www.bowditchsailing.com/ (click daycruises/shelling safari).

That is what got so heated up yesterday.

Save your money. Go buy a bag of shells, or please DO investigate the shell island tours from Panama City Beach. They are REAL shelling adventures.

Darke Co. Ohio
Level Contributor
82 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shelling at Destin???

We did the Bowditch cruise last year, and we found LOTS of shells in the Choctawhatchee Bay off the West side, here is the web site for the Bowditch,www.bowditchsailing.com.

Since the "Local Experts" that post here will tell that there are "No shells" to be found I suggest you call the boat with the number listed and ask for yourself.

Ask if they "Plant" the shells also, LOL.

I see you registered today and if you are legit Try the cruise we had a ball as did everyone else aboard.

Don't try to argue with the "Local experts", After all they know EVERYTHING about Shelling.

We didn't find anything on the gulf beaches either.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shelling at Destin???

Yes...I'm legit.

Thanks to all for the info.

Get answers to your questions about Destin