We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NWLA-Mexico Beach

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lacombe, la
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
NWLA-Mexico Beach

About how far is Mexico Beach. Do you get back on I-10 to get there?? Are there any good restaurants there for lunch?

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

I've been to both, once, but just for a look-see, not to stay. I don't know how much of a hit Cape San Blas took from Ivan or Dennis... My impression of both from my brief visit is that they're pretty close to my dream places... Mostly low-rise, low-density residential, not much to do other than hang out on the beach, but I'm sure they've both developed quite a bit in the two years since we visited. My dusty recollection says there was a good restaurant and a state park bordering Cape San Blas? (We drove the entire Florida Gulf coast over two and a half day, so some places probably have blended together.)

Sound about right, todday?

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

Hubby's boss stays at a state park there and she loves it! I've done some research and it's pretty much as kitty says, low density but beautiful. They did take a hit from Dennis because all the massive flooding was just north of there so they got some damage, but not as bad as Destin.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

When I was growing up I learned that when it comes to nature, we are to be observers only. I realized that if you came upon something beautiful, you take a picture, but leave it there for the next person on the trail. In Arizona for example petrified wood can be found, but just leave it, colorado, geodes, just leave them. In Belize in the caves there are pottery shards you have to leave those. Same with shells, some area beaches are overpicked leaving nothing for anyone to look at. Now I am not a crazy person and yell at the collectors, but realize what happens to the ones you take home. they sit in a container for about 3 yrs until you redecorate and wind up discarded. That's just my opinion. I'm not trying to be dogmatic.

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

todday, I understand your point. My husband and I make jewelry and one thing we are very strict about is no coral because of the limited supply of it. In shelling, we never take shells with wildlife in them. I have no urge to kill anything. However, shells are discarded daily by wildlife and I don't see the harm in this. I do certainly respect your opinion on this and for the most part, agree.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

Back to the Beautiful Gulf county (I own land there and a small mobile home) I really don't think it has changed that much in 2 yrs. Cape San Blas is still fairly undeveloped, there is homes and condos (small ones) on the beach and just a few restaurants. It is hard to get insurance there because it was considered a barrier island. There was/is some legislation to try to change that so hrurricane insurance was possible. There is one road going to the area and it can wash out. in fact Stumps Hole as it is known, is now just rocks in the sea where the road sits on. I have yet to make it all the way to the State park (St. Joseph's) but it is pristine (was Dr. Beach's best pick like 3-4 yrs ago) Mexico beach which is in Bay county yhas seen a lot of development int he last 2 yrs. A few old one story motels are being replaced wiht 4 story condos. Prices are running $450-600 K now but will go and have gone up. Most are not exactly Gulf front but just about everything there is a short walk.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

We didn't make it into the park either, because we had our dog with us and it's not a dog-friendly place, but it looked beautiful from the guard gate.

Do Mexico Beach and Cape San Blas have zoning restrictions that will keep them from becoming high-rise infested in the future? Those are two of the places in the Panhandle we've thought about buying, but we don't want to if they're going to turn into another Destin or Gulf Shores. (No offense to folks from either one of those places, because they're still beautiful, but a high-rise condo neighborhood isn't for us.)

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

On the shell thing: I like shelling too, but after almost 10 years in Florida, I have enough shells to make a lifetime's worth of crafts. I still shell on occasion, but only for ones I don't have. I also don't pick up shells that a hermit crab might need for a larger home later. Shells are an important component of the beach itself in my part of Florida, so overshelling could have unintendend consequences.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

Yes, I think everything cannot be higher than the El Govener a 4 story motel. Ms kitty E-mail me and we can chat about Real estate - Toddschmoe@yahoo.com