We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NWLA-Mexico Beach

lacombe, la
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
NWLA-Mexico Beach

About how far is Mexico Beach. Do you get back on I-10 to get there?? Are there any good restaurants there for lunch?

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

I just did a trip plan on randmcnally.com and it said that Mexico Beach was 81 mi. from the heart of Destin. It didn't seem that far but maybe so. To get there you just stay on 98 and keep going east through Panama City and it is just past Tyndall AFB. It is a sleepy little place with a few places to eat but we were there early in the morning and didn't stay long enough to eat.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

As the above person who looked on a map states you would follow route 98, really is will take almost an hour to get to Panama city then an entire hour to go through panama city, another 20 min for Tydall AFB which is mostly all woods then you will see the construction craines and you are there it sits on RTE 98. Most people rent condos but there is 2-3 hotels (El Govener, Driftwood) to stay, not worth the drive just to go to the get some food --Tucan's is on the water, but be prepared to wait for service. not worth the gas just to "look around" unless you know someone to visit, looking for real estate, or are just have absolutly nothing else to do. The beach is similar to other panhandle beaches, it is a bit less crowed, no buildings are greater than 4 stories, little to no shopping, Far eastern Bay, Gulf and Franklin counties are some of the least populated areas on the Florida Coast (that still have beaches).

lacombe, la
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

Yes, I think it too far.

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

Yes, it is far, but it is not like other beaches in this area in that there is great shelling there. That was the whole point to my first mentioning it.

covington ky
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

did you see much wildlife there?

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

Didn't look, it was late December and we were actually looking for the HGTV Dream House that was built around there and stopped for a bit to walk on the beach and discovered the sand was browner than in the Destin area, the water not as clear, but great shells.

lacombe, la
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

The shells were my reason for asking.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

As of a month ago the 2003 HGTV home was back on the market. I have not been there it is near Tyndall and very hard to get to. It is on the East Bay. St. Joe's hope was to create a little waterfront community in the area but DEP and Tydall I really think have caused no development so you have one house miles from anywhere with out anyone arround (sounds good to me) on muddy dirt roads. Plenty of widlife but most of it is hidden behind Air force signs that read NO ONE PERMITTED ON FEDERAL FACILITY, UNEXPLODED ORDENCE POSSIBLE" so we tend to not get out. As for shelling there may be more shells on ST. Andrews State park or shell island, but I have to say leave the shells on the beach, they are just going to collect dust in a vase on the coffee table.

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

todday...what do you care if people collect shells? Kind of negative sounding there.

IL
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: NWLA-Mexico Beach

What about Cape San Blas? Anyone been there?