We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Destin?

Missouri
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to visit Destin?

I am planning a vacation for me and my fiance to go to Destin. I have heard such wonderful things about it! Anyway, we are planning on going either at the end of August or the end of September and I was wondering which time would be the best time to visit? I have no idea what the weather is like in Florida during those times of the year. Also, the vacation is contingent on when we can get off of work. Can anyone recommed a good place to stay? We have been looking at vacation rentals but during August they are very high and during September they are much less. Maybe a hotel would be better? I would appreciate any information and help you can give me!

Thanks!

Missouri
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Destin?

I also was wondering what is the difference between Destin and Sandestin? Also on the accommodations, I'm looking to spend under $100/night. Are there any good sites out there I should be looking at?

Thanks again!

Frisco (Dallas), TX
Level Contributor
380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Destin?

We go mid-late August. Rentals are 1/2 the price of the summer rates. Look at www.vrbo.com for rental units.

Destin is great! We will be there Aug 20-27 :)

St. Louis
Level Contributor
265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Destin?

Not sure where you can stay for that price, but I agree with DallasStar to go in mid to late August...usually rates come down a lot after the second week in August, thats when we usually go. And take the I-55 route vs. the I-64 route...we think its quicker and an easier drive.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Destin?

Not sure where you can stay for that price, but I agree with DallasStar to go in mid to late August...usually rates come down a lot after the second week in August, thats when we usually go. And take the I-55 route vs. the I-64 route...we think its quicker and an easier drive.

Level Contributor
1,424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Destin?

Late August or Early September, but not during a hoiday. The kids are back in school then so it is less crowded and less expensive.

The difference in Sandestin & Destin is...

Sandestin is a gated community, pretty self contained, six miles East of Destin.

Destin is an actual city.

The rates change drastically after season, (ie kids summer vacation).

Missouri
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Destin?

What is the weather like throughout September? I'm assuming it is still pretty warm there?

Missouri
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit Destin?

Me again. A couple of different people I know told me that there is a time in Florida when there are sand fleas (this is what they called them) on the beaches. Is this true and if so is there a certain time of the year they come out? Also one of them mentioned a red tide. What exactly is that?

Thanks again! Everyone has been so nice and helpful!

Level Contributor
1,424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit Destin?

There are always sand fleas on the beach. Are you going to worry about little bugs? I would worry more about jelly fish and other marine mammals.

Just think, you will be swimming in uncleansed water too!

Missouri
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit Destin?

yppub,

I was just wondering because they made it sound like it was just awful. I had never heard of such a thing.

Level Contributor
1,424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit Destin?

I'm sorry missourigrl, I didn't mean to attack you. Bugs are an every day part of life in Florida. You just need to overlook the occasional invasion (outside, but not inside). Set your chairs closer to the water and the sand fleas are not an issue. Plus, be careful and don't take things to the beach that would attract bugs in missouri, then you shouldn't have a problem in Florida.

Note: Don't wear perfume or any strongly scented anything here. That goes for him as well. It just attracts unwanted visitors.

Again, please accept my apology for the attack. I hope you have a wonderful time here.