We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Charter

6 posts
Fishing Charter

Best fishing charter? Will have 5 adults, looking to go offshore, want to catch some big fish, we have been deep sea fishing before so we are experienced looking to do a 10 or 12 hour trip. Price isn’t an issue just looking for someone good, reliable, and knows what they are doing. There are so many to choose from online it’s hard to tell who is good. Thanks for your suggestions.

11 replies to this topic
Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
287 reviews
1. Re: Fishing Charter

Okay, you're exactly the kind of visitor I love to help.

If I had an unlimited budget, and I wanted the trip of a lifetime, here are a few of the charters (all of these are excellent...the best) I'd be calling:

Any one of these charter boats will show you a great time. If you're trying to book for a trip in October, be aware of the fact that the Destin Fishing Rodeo will be going on, and reservations can be hard to get.

- Backdown II

- Lady Em

- Huntress

- Finest Kind

- Twilight

If you're unable to find an open reservation with any of these five just let me know, and I'll give you more names. But if I were in your shoes, these five boats are the outfits I'd be calling.

6 posts
2. Re: Fishing Charter

Ok great, thank you very much! I was actually looking at Backdown ll but didn’t I just read somewhere that he just sold his boat? Anyway I will look into these and see if they have anything available. I was actually trying to get something for next week (sept 15-21), I know it’s short notice but maybe someone has an opening. Thanks again for your reply.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
287 reviews
3. Re: Fishing Charter

Well, you're probably better off trying to book a charter for next week than you'd be if you were looking for a booking in October, because the Destin Fishing Rodeo will be going on then.

As for the Backdown II, I hadn't heard that it had been sold. I follow his facebook page, too. You might want to check it out...he just put up pictures from a 12-hour charter.

https:/…

Edited: 6:50 am, September 14, 2018
6 posts
4. Re: Fishing Charter

Ok thanks I will probably just start calling today and see what I can schedule.

East TN
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Fishing Charter

How would one go about trying to get added to another party. There are 2 of us and we would like to book a trip with 3 or 4 others and split the cost. Any suggestions?

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
287 reviews
6. Re: Fishing Charter

There are some booking companies that will handle charter-splits for you. You really just have to start calling the operators and asking if they have someone booking a trip who needs to fill a couple spots on the boat. You can also book your own and try to find other people to step on with you and fill the charter. The advantage of that is that rather than accepting someone else's priorities you decide what day you go, and how long the charter is. Obviously, the disadvantage is that if you can't find someone to hope on the boat and share expenses, you're stuck...you pay for all of it.

Here are a couple companies that I believe work with shared charters frequently:

- Harborwalk Charters

- FishingBooker.com

The problem with using companies that mess around with setting up shared charters is that you often end up fishing with a charter operator that's not one of Destin's best. If I were in your shoes I'd start calling the best charter operators in Destin to see if any of them have a particial booking that they're interested in filling.

Another option would be to put out a question on the TripAdvisor board, and try to see if you can find someone who's in your postion, who is willing to share a charter with you.

If you need recommendation for the better charter operators you can look at my older posts...I've mentioned many. If you need more help just post a question here, or send me a PM.

East TN
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Fishing Charter

Great advise. Thank you for the speedy reply.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
287 reviews
8. Re: Fishing Charter

Okay, I'm curious. Did you go fishing yet? If so, who did you go with and how was the charter?

6 posts
9. Re: Fishing Charter

Yes we went out yesterday with Lady Em and we had a great time. Done a 10 hour trip we caught several different species including Amber Jack, snapper, wahoo, mahi-mahi, triggerfish, king mackerel, etc etc. We have three coolers full of fish to take back home so we are planning a big fish fry when we get back lol. Thanks again for your recommendations.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
287 reviews
10. Re: Fishing Charter

You're very welcome. I'm happy that you and your crew had such a great time. Come back and visit again.

Reply to: Fishing Charter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Destin
Recent Conversations