We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

Indiana
4 posts
Save Topic
Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

Hi all,

We are coming down in early June. We originally booked The Talisman, which we loved, but just found out they are closing. We have since booked several rooms in Flamingo Inn, but do not recall much about it. Can someone let me know anything about it?

I am also curious as to waht happened to Beacon by the Sea Motel? We have stayed there previously and have found out that it has closed as well.

Thanks for the help and come on June!!!

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

Did Beacon by the sea really close?I called them in early jan.to book for summer and they didn't say anything about closing up hum?We decided to book at Bahama House again which is next to Flamingo inn.Flamingo inn is also next to Treasure Island Resort.The area is nicer than by boadwalk to us.I do know there is minture golf ,gocarts,parasailing(behind treasure island),ihop,and some convient stores(Winn dixie down the street.I have heard many hotels mostly small ones are closing up because of all the damage done during the hurricanes.I do know Flamingo has a nice pool area with a lot of trees and some hammonks.I priced them once and I thought they were high compared to some other hotels with better ammenties.We can't wait to go at the end of july either.We are going on a short trip to Nashville at the end of April.We have been going to Daytona Beach now for thirty years and is one of our favorite beaches.Have a great trip!

Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

yes the beacon by the sea and about 5 other holels in that are closed and are not even there anymore, the owners sold for new higher rise condos to go up, the Flamingo Inn still looks good. That area of Daytona has many hotels still being worked on, and the gift shop that was across the street from them has closed also , but there is still many things to do in the area, you will still have a good time.

daytona
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

The Flamingo Inn is a smaller hotel and doesn't have a great reputation with cleanliness. It's also a hotel that usually gets overrun with Spring Breakers. It's not horrible though, and it's owned by a local couple who try to keep it up.

I watched them knock down the big tower at the Beacon By the Sea months ago, it was sad.

Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

Thanks for your responses. Sorry to hear about the Beacon, we always enjoyed going there. The people that owned the Beacon also owned another property which I beleive is right next door to the Flamingo, which they are now calling the Beacon.

I hope that the Flamingo Inn is as bas as Daytonagirl says it is. It was not a cheap place, so we thought it would be nice. We know that it is an older property and don't expect a lot, but just hope for the best!!

Thanks all.

Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

That should read... isn't as bad as Daytonagirl says...

new jersey
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

Beacon by the sea is still there.

www.beaconbythesea.com

I'm booked there for a trip in April, so I'll let ya know how it is

Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

thats not the same motel.

Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

Interesting.... I wonder when Daytonagirl ever stayed in a Daytona hotel!! The Talisman and Beacon, sad to say, were old, in bad shape the hurricanes just about blew them down... no ratings - but wonderful people who managed them. The Flamingo Inn is one of the newest smaller hotels on the beach, private, secluded - and safe rated superior small lodging and AAA. And you will not find the musty old Daytona motel smells at the Flamingo Inn!! We have not stayed there with Spring Breakers - but have found the Flamingo the cleanest place in Daytona we ever stayed at - with no housekeeping issues.

Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

beachlove

when you live in daytona and work in the hotel industry or you have friends that do you know everything there is to know about every hotel and the pros and cons of them. I have found that daytonagirl knows what she is talking about. These are our opions about the hotel or motel in question. and I think daytonagirl has lived here all her life so she knows the area.

And about the flamingo inn I was over on the beach Monday and there was a ton of spring breakers there at that motel. It does look clean on the outside to bad it has to sit next door to a dump of a motel. I have heard people say they are not the cleanest place, but what my be clean to one person may be dirty to someone else.

daytona
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flamingo Inn and other misc. questions

In response to this: (posted by beachlove)

"Interesting.... I wonder when Daytonagirl ever stayed in a Daytona hotel!! The Talisman and Beacon, sad to say, were old, in bad shape the hurricanes just about blew them down... no ratings - but wonderful people who managed them. The Flamingo Inn is one of the newest smaller hotels on the beach, private, secluded - and safe rated superior small lodging and AAA. And you will not find the musty old Daytona motel smells at the Flamingo Inn!! We have not stayed there with Spring Breakers - but have found the Flamingo the cleanest place in Daytona we ever stayed at - with no housekeeping issues."

Yes, I have stayed in many Daytona hotels as well as many of my friends and relatives. I also have visited many Daytona hotels and visited many hotel pool bars and restaurants. I also have many friends that work in Daytona hotels or have worked in Daytona hotels. This is where my opinion comes from...and it's just that my OPINION. Respect it or not, believe it or not. This is a website for expressing your opinions and everyone has a right to them, just as everyone has a right to agree or disagree.

I don't understand where your comments come from about the Talisman and the Beacon... I never posted an opinion about either. You must have me confused with someone else. The only thing I posted was this:

"I watched them knock down the big tower at the Beacon By the Sea months ago, it was sad."

As far as my opinion of the Flamingo Inn, it was based on several things. I drive by there 5 days a week on my way to and from work. I have seen Spring Breakers all over the parking lot almost every day for a few weeks now. It has very little curb appeal and does not look very attractive from the street. I know someone who worked there as a housekeeper about a year ago and she was not impressed at all by the housekeeping standards. My brother's friends stayed there last race week and were not at all impressed with the room or the facilities. They did like the owners and commented that they seemed to care about the place, though.

And thanks for the vote of confidence, Sadie! I agree wholeheartedly...sometimes what may be clean to one person, may not be to another.

Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach