We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hang Gliding

3 posts
Save Topic
Hang Gliding

Can anyone recommend Hang Gliding at Daytona Beach or Kissimmee?

Mentioned in this post
Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,281 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hang Gliding

I checked on-line and saw there's a place just South of Disney that does hang gliding, but I don't know anything about them. As to Daytona, I've spent a fair amount of time in the airspace in the area. There's a heck of a lot of training and other activity going on and in my opinion it would be insane to try hang gliding in it.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hang Gliding

I have a feeling you choices are going to be rather limited. Don't you need an elevated area to hang glide?

This part of the state is pretty flat. The areas that do have hills like Clermont have been highly developed over the past several years.

I have seen some kite surfing over on the west coast, but I don't know if that helps you much.

Mentioned in this post
Clermont
Clermont
Lake County, FL
Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,281 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hang Gliding

From what I saw on one site they tow you up to some altitude for your ride. From there you could hopefully catch some thermals going up to make for a longer ride than just returning to the airport. Gliders do it all the time and can get quite high. I inadvertently did it in a Cessna and went up at an insanely fast rate.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hang Gliding

I would probably end up in a hospital LOL. It does sound like fun though. I guess that must be a pretty rural area where they can do that. It seems like they have built the living hell out of some of the areas just outside of Disney toward Windermere and Winter Garden. It must be further south.

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
124 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hang Gliding

I'm hoping to hanglide this April. There isn't anywhere in Daytona but there are a few places near Orlando, , just do an internet search for hangliding Orlando. I've seen Groupons for it also. They do tow you up on an airplane and they can't always do it due to wind conditions, apparently early morning is the best.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
6. Re: Hang Gliding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 28, 2015