We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to run on Atlantic Blvd.?

Tampa, Florida...
1 post
Save Topic
Safe to run on Atlantic Blvd.?

I'll be in Daytona Beach for a volleyball tournament and need to work in a training run of 8-9 miles. I hate the treadmill. Is it safe to run along Atlantic Blvd.?

Mentioned in this post
Sautee, Georgia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to run on Atlantic Blvd.?

When is your visit? You should be fine running on the Blvd. It is quite a busy area traffic wise, however there are good sidewalks to run on. There are usually many people around too, so its safe.I think it would be best to run southwards toward Port Orange/South Daytona. :)

Mentioned in this post
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,150 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to run on Atlantic Blvd.?

It should be fine, other than being on a sidewalk with driveways close to traffic; there's less traffic in Daytona Beach Shores, south of Daytona beach proper.

Depending on tide, the beach offers an excellent alternative, including barefoot running or walking. The beach has a substantial average tidal range, up to 5 feet. The National Weather Service has a beach forecast, including tide times, here:

forecast.weather.gov/product.php…

Mentioned in this post
Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to run on Atlantic Blvd.?

It's perfectly safe in terms of nobody's going to attack you. And, you'd be fine running on the sidewalks. I'd think twice about running on sections without a sidewalk, but areas that might not have them should be outside of your range. I haven't actually ever paid attention to where they might stop.

I think once you see the beach you'll seriously consider it if conditions permit. There's a strip that's hard packed enough that the used to run trials for the land speed record out there. There's 26 miles of that in Volusia County, and more to the North. Tides and storms my put some or all of it underwater, but not always.

centerburg, ohio
Level Contributor
933 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to run on Atlantic Blvd.?

Buy a newspaper when you arrive and find the tide timetable. Low tide and an hour or two on either side is good for runnin on the beach.. You can run in neighborhoods when you get a couple of miles north or south of downtown. Atlantic is fine but you might have to dodge people unless you run before 8 am. Running om the beach is a wonderful experience. Best beach area is near Pounce Inlet because the beach is widest there. That is about 8-10 miles south of downtown. Have a good time with the views!

5. Re: Safe to run on Atlantic Blvd.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 31, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach