We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

Planning to stay at Wyndham Ocean walk for 4 nights in June. Wondering if there are beach chairs for rental in the area? My husband seemed to remember the sand in this area was hard packed and not comfortable to lay on?? I have never visited, and only have been to beaches on the gulf side...

Thank you!

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

Yes, there is a vedor renting chair's and umbrellas on the beach right around there. The part of the beach near the water is hard packed sand, but the part closer to the sea wall is usually fairly soft (assuming high tides haven't packed it down). However, if it's a hot day that part gets very hot. Many folks prefer getting closer to the water where it's cooler.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

Thank you! Any idea of cost? I have a feeling we will want chairs at least 2 of the days. I am nervous about the wave action/rip tides, but the kids are 10 and 12 now and looking forward to some boogie boards and action!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

$30/day for 2 chairs/table & umbrella. http://vcbeachrentals.com/pricing/ from this company. Probably get a better deal just for the chairs.

Edited: 4:32 pm, September 07, 2013
Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

Thank you for the great info!

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

Before letting the kids in the water you might stop by one of the lifeguard chairs to see what's going on that day in that area. And, it's always good to swim near a tower if you (or the kids) go in more than knee deep, even if everything looks calm.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

We will definitely swim near a lifeguard. Sounds like good advice for sure! I hope it is at least somewhat calm part of the time even though we are strong swimmers. My mom is coming with and she is not a strong swimmer so I will need to try to persuade her to stay in shallow waters. How deep do I need to allow the kids to go in order to boogie board? I'm hoping not more than waist deep??

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

How deep the kids will have to go depends on conditions. If the waves are small probably waist deep depending on their size. If the waves are bigger they break in deeper water. The good news is that if they do somehow end up in a runout they have flotation and can simply kick their way back in.

If the waves are relatively big and breaking near shore think twice. It's easy to start in waist deep water and then get slammed into the bottom in a foot or less of water, which can be bad. That's why most folks use the outside break when they can.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

Thanks again- Rookie question here: What does it mean when you say most folks use the outside break? I am new to this! Appreciate your patience :)

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

Daytona generally has two lines or regions where the waves build up and break. The inside break is next to the shore. The outside break is over a sand bar that's 20 to 40 yards farther out and is present along most of metro Daytona's coastline. The water out there is usually deeper than near the shore, and there's a drop-off after the sand bar. So, your chances of getting slammed into the bottom if you don't catch the wave right and go over the falls or it breaks on top of you is much less.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach chairs at Ocean Walk

Thanks. I think I know what you mean. So would it be considered safe to play out in the water near the sand bar? My shark-o-phobia might kick in and drive the rest of the family crazy though :) We do really love the water though and spend the whole day in there when we are in the gulf.