We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytona Cubs?

Bolton
Level Contributor
231 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Daytona Cubs?

Want to take my 13 yr old son to a ball game. Since i'm staying in Ormond Beach the Cubs are the closest team to watch a game at the end of April. My question is, is it worth going to a Cub game or would it be better to make a day of it and drive to Tampa, about 2 hrs each way and watch a actual major league game.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytona Cubs?

For a first time, minor league is just fine. Still a reasonable standard, but very low cost ( I have gotten tickets for my local team abt $10 and there are special offers too). They quite often have fun stuff for kids.

I would not invest the time and money in a Major league game with t he price of ticktets and the time/cost of travel unless they like the minor league experience first.

good family fun, but learn abt the 7th inning stretch as it always takes brits by surprise lol.

Northwest Indiana
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytona Cubs?

Has your son ever been to a major league game? If he hasn't, then I would definitely drive the 2 hours to Tampa. If he has, then I would just go to a Daytona Cubs game. I've never been to a Daytona Cubs game, but I do have 2 minor league teams that are within 35 miles of my home. I enjoy watching them. These players are trying to make the majors and therefore most of them give 110% every game.

Bolton
Level Contributor
231 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytona Cubs?

The Cubs i assume are a minor league team for the Chicago Cubs? Probably will take him to a Cub game then decide later if he would like a Tampa bay game, if i wait until we get there will there be a problem getting tickets for either place?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytona Cubs?

The Rays don't usually sell out, and there are always tickets for minor league games.

Keep an eye out for special offers on the minor league ticket site. My club had Dollar Dog night (hot dogs for a buck) on mondays, Thursty Thursdays (discount on beer) and Kraft Cheese tuesdays where you can get a free ticket for every ticket bought using an empty packet of Kraft cheese.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytona Cubs?

Belly Buster Monday at the Daytona Cubs games. All the hamburgers and pizza you can eat.

Port Orange...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytona Cubs?

Not Even Close - Jackie Robinson Ballpark, named after Jackie as he played his first professional game here. Daytona Cubs games are played on a island, City Island and the atmosphere is great, rated in the Top 10 places to watch a ball game by both USA Today '10 great places for a baseball pilgrimage' article, baseballpilgrimages.com. and BallPark Digest. One of the oldest minor league ballparks in the nation (1914), maybe 'the oldest' depended on how they figure it. Lots of history here as many 'hall of famers' played on this field.

Daytona Cubs is much more fun and affordable. Lots of on field games and such between innings. The ' Dirt Bags' do a Dance 'n Drag routine in the 6th inning and the Cubby mascot is always doing fun things.

by BallPark Digest - "You don't get any more Floridian than Jackie Robinson Ballpark, home of the Daytona Cubs of the Florida State League. Much of Florida's baseball history intersects on this small island outside of downtown Daytona Beach, while one of the most important events in baseball history took place there as well."

7. Re: Daytona Cubs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, July 17, 2013