We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking the beach at night?

Which Daytona Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Walking the beach at night?

My daughter and I will be there at the end of May and it looks like we would want to spend part of an evening at Ocean Deck. I mapquested it and it's about 5 miles from our condo. Could we walk the beach home - is it safe at night? Are there buses or would calling a cab be the way to go. Just don't want to drink and drive.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking the beach at night?

I haven't heard of problems on the beach very often, especially away from the center of the strip, so I expect you'd be OK. That said, the beach can be a pretty lonely place at night and walking 5 miles down it does sound a little scary. A1A does have sidewalks down its length and it's well lit, so it should be less scary. Either way, I'd probably just take a cab.

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking the beach at night?

Try walking there and see what you think then I bet after you are ready to head back a cab would be in order!! Have fun!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking the beach at night?

Good plan - that sounds perfect :) Thanks for the quick replies!

Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking the beach at night?

I did a similar walk from Ormond by the sea to ormond beach and back. This was three miles each way. Walking there was fine. Walking back with my flip flops was a bit more painful. If you have good shoes you will be fine.

Diana

centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
927 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking the beach at night?

Please be aware that the beaches in the area are light protected for turtles. Therefore the beaches are quite dark when you get away from the boardwalk area. I walk on the beach in the boardwalk and Ocean Deck area with no trepidation, however when walking at night in the ormond beach area where it is very dark, I stay on the sidewalks.

Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking the beach at night?

Yep you are right. Forgot it was turtle season from May to November. I walked the beach on the way to the bar but walked along the sidewalk on the way back. Hence the painful flip flop feet :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking the beach at night?

Depends on tide too -- at high tide -- water comes up to sea wall...

You can walk it - but for a $10 taxi ride - Y would U??

Renata

Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking the beach at night?

I agree, walk on A1A not the beach at night. It is turtle nesting season so the hotels are required to not have ANY lights shining on the beach.

9. Re: Walking the beach at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach