We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC to Daytona Beach

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC to Daytona Beach

Hi - my family is looking to go from New York to Washington to Daytona Beach by public transport.

Is it better to do plane or train? Any idea of travel times?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,975 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC to Daytona Beach

Plane.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC to Daytona Beach

Going by plane is really the best way by far.

Taking the train is fun and different, and you get to see a little bit of the countryside (when it's not dark out). But, the train station in Deland is not as well set up as the airport to recieve tourists (at least not as I remember it from the 90s), so you'd probably have to take a cab from the train station to a rental car company to get a car. Or, over to your hotel. It would be a bit of a pain. I don't think many non-residents do it.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC to Daytona Beach

The US train system is primitive compared to other countries.

Greyhound Bus has a station in Daytona Beach. Your option should be plane vs. Greyhound bus.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC to Daytona Beach

Long-distance rail travel is provided by a government corporation, Amtrak, which is given sufficient subsidies to provide minimal service, almost always on tracks that are used primarily for freight service.

Amtrak does provide bus service from Deland station to Daytona Beach. Timetables are here. It's a long overnight trip.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Daytona Beach airport is relatively small, so seems to have somewhat higher fares than Orlando.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC to Daytona Beach

Compare flight costs from Dulles (IAD) or Regan (DCA) to Orlando vs. Daytona. There are a number if Orlando-Daytona shuttles that might make it worth while. Plane and train costs are close.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC to Daytona Beach

I agree.

Take a plane to Orlando.

Then rent a car and drive to Daytona or take a shuttle.

Enjoy your visit!

Spirit

centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
929 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC to Daytona Beach

I have taken the train from DC to Deland. It is an interesting experience, once. I enjoyed watching countryside go by and the towns we went through, etc. That being said, it is time consuming because you spend time sitting on sidings while freight trains use the rails.

Sleepers are fairly comfortable and dining is absolutely great. We got into Deland late and so the rental car place was closed. We took a cab to Daytona (shared with another person who couldn't get to the rental car place on time).

I found the whole thing quite interesting and something everyone should try at least once. I actually came to DC from Ohio and the connecting train from the NE was so late I slept in Union Station.

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC to Daytona Beach

thanks everyone. Looks like we will head to Orlando from Washington DC then hire a car to Daytona Beach so all sorted!

DAB
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington DC to Daytona Beach

Ahhhh.... Train Travels.... brings back memories.

"In-the-day ..., open.viewing smoking cars would fill up soon after dinner ( 9-PM ) and the raucous crowd of boozy "train_people" would not clear away until 3-AM !! Smoke was dense as brimestone ... and there wasn't a nice girl in the crowd ... as a growling train rumbled into the reckless night."

10. Re: Washington DC to Daytona Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, May 15, 2011