We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Drive Beaches

Which Daytona Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
No Drive Beaches

Can someone please tell me the hotels/condos in the area of Daytona Beach that are on the beach where you can NOT drive on the beach?

I'm not so sure I like the ideal of vehicles driving on the beach with my little ones running around.

Thank you

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
672 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Drive Beaches

Well, I know the area around Main Street Pier, for about 1 1/2 miles, is no-drive - hotels/condos include the Daytona Beach Regency (where we stay), the Ocean Walk, The Hilton, and on the other side of the pier, the Mayan. I know there are some no drive areas further down in Daytona Beach Shores, but I'm not sure which hotels are there. However, I'm sure you can google "hotels in the no-drive section of Daytona Beach" to find some more - good luck!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Drive Beaches

Thank you.

I have another question. On the Drive on Beach, does it get really crowded? is it safe? I'm worried about the safety of my 2 year old who loves to run!

I have found a place I would love to rent at Daytona Beach resort but it's on the drive beach. So far that is the only con I can find. The price is awesome and the condo looks really nice. So if someone can put me at ease on this drive beach, I'll be forever grateful. :)

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: No Drive Beaches

The drive speed is severly limited. I think it is 15mph. And the section that you are allowed to drive on is also confined to where the speed marker is and the landside of the beach.

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Drive Beaches

When are you planning on going? Driving on the beach is not like a busy street unless you are there at peak times like spring break or bike week. As Chuts pointed out the speed limit is very slow, Weekends will have a bit more cars. The past few years there have been issues with very soft sand and portions of the beach were even closed to cars. Tell the children to watch for cars, keep an eye on them and relax, you should be fine. I bet your children talk you into driving on the beach before you leave for home. Have fun!

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Drive Beaches

http://www.volusia.org/beach/bchmapn.htm

Here is a map of drive areas, not sure if that will help out or not.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Drive Beaches

teach, thank you so much. The map is what I needed.

We are going June 13-15 so we won't be there for the weekend. Maybe it won't be so bad. I had seen photos online and it was really crowded so I got paranoid.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No Drive Beaches

I have never had any problems when my 2 sons were little. They LOVED being on the beach, the cars are slow and don't drive real close but you need to watch them of course. It is breathtaking to drive on the beach with your window down seeing that gorgeous Atlantic. You are not but about 50 yards or less from the surf, beautiful! Have a wonderful time

punz

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Drive Beaches

Your dates are a perfect time to go IMO. Ocean has warmed up enough to enjoy, not too crowded and nice sunny days a few afternoon showers. I love Daytona in June!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: No Drive Beaches

I think so too teach. Late May or the month of June is perfect for Daytona! We usually go the first of June each year.

punz

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Drive Beaches

teachrsue's link to the beach maps is the best place to start (here's the general link for County beach services):

http://www.volusia.org/beach/default.htm

It's pretty easy to figure where hotels are via Google Maps (Bing Maps gives better Birds Eye views so you can spy on hotel swimming pools).

June is the height of the rainy season, so think in terms of doing the beach early, then having something indoors to do when thunderstorms are appearing.

The water should be fine, about 80 degrees.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html

Non-weekend crowds will be reasonable. The County's tight regulation of beach driving has pretty much solved the old safety issues.

In other words, the previous posters are all good.

Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach