We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

This may sound naive to anyone who's been there, but we haven't. We are going to be spending 4 days in Orlando from Mar 18 through the 22nd. Then, we want to spend 4 more days somewhere else on the Atlantic side this time instead of the Gulf side. And we want to stay right on the beach.

I am torn about whether the "atmosphere" of Daytona Beach during that time period is appropriate. Don't get me wrong... I still like to party and carry on myself... but not with the 10 year old around. I guess I'm looking for the "green light" or "red light" type of thing... and you can write as much into the "red light" as you wish to. Is there the possibility of having to have an emergency "birds and bees" discussion from stuff seen on the beach?

Thanks for any help.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

Daytona Beach would definitely not be the place for a 10 year old during Spring Break. You could try for a visit to New Smyrna Beach or maybe someplace around the Cocoa Beach area.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

Daytona Beach would definitely not be the place for a 10 year old during Spring Break. You could try for a visit to New Smyrna Beach or maybe someplace around the Cocoa Beach area.

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

I second New Smryna and Cocoa Beach. Daytona would not be a good choice for your 10 year old! Remember the farther south the warmer the ocean will be! The water tempts may be too chilly in March to spend alot of time in the ocean.

Florida
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

I disagree. I think Daytona Beach in March would be appropriate for a child during Spring Break. Go down to the Daytona Beach Shores area--over the Port Orange Bridge. There aren't Spring Breakers at this location. There are miles of beaches without Spring Breakers in Daytona. New Smyrna is nice also, but if you want more specific info about where to go in Daytona that is more family oriented I can let you know. Anyways, our Spring Breaker population is hardly anything nowadays.

Florida
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

I agree with teacherSue about the cold. I don't thing playing in the surf will be possible in Daytona, New Smyrna, or where ever--the water is too cold.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

I agree March this year would be inappriate for a ten year old.The water will also be to cold to enjoy.You could look into FT.lauderdale.I think the water will be a lot warm.I like the area FT.Lauderdale-by-the -sea.A cute little city.

Florida
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

Water temps in South Florida may be more tolerable, but still may be cold. Also remember that Bike Week is March 3-12, 2006 in Daytona Beach.

I still think you can enjoy Daytona Beach in March, if you have a realistic expectation that the ocean will be cold. :)

Florida
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

macc, I notice you are from Wisconsin, so wading knee high may be tolerable for you, since you are used to a cold climate. :)

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

Yeah, wading in the water would be pretty easy for us =). He may even want to swim in it. We were in Clearwater one February and it wasn't too awful bad... at least not for him.

Ok... I am going to get a little more specific here. Over the four days, we plan on hitting St. Augustine (both forts, the old city section, etc... usual stuff), Daytona (the racetrack, beach) and Cape Canaveral. IF you were to pick one central location that is not in Daytona Beach to stay then, and still be on the beach, where would it be? I would hate motel changing seeing as everything is so close.

Thanks Again.

Florida
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is March (spring break) in Daytona Beach appropriate for a...

Well, since Daytona Beach is in the middle of St. Augustine and Cape Canaveral, I would choose Daytona Beach. Since you don't want to stay in Daytona Beach, how about St. Augustine Beach? It's not very "central", but you are going to be in St. Augustine. I notice La Fiesta hotel in St. Augustine Beach is getting nice reviews.

Also New Smyrna Beach could be an option for you. It is south of Daytona and closer to the Cape. New Smyrna Beach is a small, nice town. They have suffered very bad beach erosion though. I could check it out for you--but be forewarned that there may not be any "beach" left.