We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What must we see in 2 days?

Rockingham...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What must we see in 2 days?

We are staying at the Sea Garden Inn for two nights in late September, what things must we do &/or see whilst we are in town. We are holidaying from Australia.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What must we see in 2 days?

dear Stingers6, Have you read the reviews of the resort?They are not very good.I would hate for you to come all the way from Australia and have a bad Holiday.I am one that believes the room can make or break a Holiday.Here is a list of must see's in Daytona Beach.Daytona International Speedway and the meuseum,Ponce Inlet Lighthouse,the historical pier on Main Street.I am not sure were else you will be while in America,Florida but a trip to Orlando,Florida or St.Augustine,Florida (the oldest town in America).If you need any other help i would be happy to help.Have a great trip.

Rockingham...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What must we see in 2 days?

Thanks Sweetiepie, Yes I have read the reviews but this is a package deal and we really only want somewhere to sleep.

We are doing a round the world trip, Singapore, London, Paris, Orlando, Daytona Beach, Bahamas Cruise, Fort Lauderdale, Dallas, Puerto Vallarta, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Waiheke Island NZ, Rotorua, Auckland, Melbourne and home to Perth.

We will have a car whilst at Daytona.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What must we see in 2 days?

Wow I wish I could do a trip like that One Day.I would say that would be my dream.I wish you and your family a fun safe trip.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What must we see in 2 days?

It's really simple - In Daytona Beach, go to the Beach! That's what Daytona is about. For a small fee you can drive your rental car for miles up and down the beach. Actually, coming after Labor Day you may not have to pay the fee.

Be careful not to run over the yankees who are lying on the beach acquiring their lobster-red sunburns, and stay on the designated traffic area so you don't bog down in the sand. Take off your shoes and wade in the Atlantic Ocean, but also walk up higher on the beach and walk in the powdery soft sand and enjoy how it "squeeks" when you scuff your feet. You don't have to actually put on bathing suits and sunbathe and picnic on the beach to have a good time there. Just drive around in your air-conditioned car and soak up the view.

Fortunately, since you are coming after Labor Day, Daytona will not be nearly as crowded as it is in the summer months. After spending a good part of the morning on the beach, drive down to the Ponce Inlet and visit the Ponce Lighthouse. For lunch go a few blocks away to Harbor Inlet restaurant and have a grouper sandwich while watching the boats pass by in the river.

If you will be in Daytona on a Sunday morning, go to the Sunday Brunch at Aunt Catfish's restaurant in Port Orange on the Halifax River. If you aren't there on a Sunday, make it lunch or dinner at Aunt Catfish's. By all means, whether there for the brunch, for lunch or dinner, include their "cheese grits" as part of your meal.

On the other day, have lunch or dinner at Sweetwater's, also located on the Halifax, and after eating go out on the patio and feed the catfish in the river. They respond by the dozens for bread crumbs. You feel you could walk on the water on the backs of the fish, there are so many.

(Ponce Inlet, Port Orange, etc. are all quite close together; just get a map from the car rental company.)

I've never been too interested in the Daytona International Speedway, but if you are interested in automobile racing you might find it interesting. I lived in the area back when the races were held right on the beach and have never adjusted to the speedway idea.

Of course if you want to do more "touristy" things there are brochures in most motel lobbies and chain restaurants that list all kinds of things to do. With your rental car it isn't that far to drive down to Cape Kennedy for a tour of NASA, or up to St. Augustine for other tourist venues, such as museums, the Fort, etc.

Enjoy!

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What must we see in 2 days?

Hey Stingers6, what a vacation! I agree with Sweetiepie and Carl. They both suggested the lighthouse at Ponce Inlet and that is a must see. Eating at Inlet Harbour is a great suggestion too. If not for lunch, then dinner and watch the sunset on the outdoordeck. There is live music in the evenings too. At Aunt Catfish's there is a river cruise you may be interested in, Sunny Daze, if it is running it is a nice boat ride on the intercoastal waterway and you see dolphins, birds and get some history on the waterway area. Also remember this area was hit by hurricanes last summer so some areas are under construction, BUT that will not keep you from enjoying the beach and other areas. Have fun!

rock falls il
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What must we see in 2 days?

just to let you know sweetwaters was bought and is closed permenantly for riverfromt renovations. all the ither suggestions sound great. have a great trip...

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What must we see in 2 days?

Sweetwaters is closed? AAAAggghhhhh!!!!!

Poor catfish.

Poor Carl.

Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What must we see in 2 days?

Yes sweetwaters and parks are both closed