We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey Rod Run car show

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Turkey Rod Run car show

It's almost that time of year again! The annual Turkey Rod Run is Nov. 22-25 this year and my husband and I are already excited! Last year was our first year as owners. We've got 1 Pontiac Ventura we're bringing and the other one will have to stay in the garage this year because the engine is still out on the stand being worked on. :( Good story - we found my husband's grandma's Pontiac Venture (the one we're bringing) at the show 2 years ago. It had been sold when he was in the military and we just happened to see it in the thousands and thousands of cars at the show. You know we had to buy it right then and there and get it back in the family! I swear I'm going to send in our whole story to that Car Crazy guy one day...The previous owner had kept it up very nicely and had done alot of great work on the car; those car lovers usually turn out to be really nice people! :)

Does anyone plan on coming down for the event? Have any great stories from past events?

Remember that every night (weather permitting) many of the car owners bring their cars out to the Bellair shopping plaza to display their works of art - the Turkey Run at the speedway has an entrance fee, but the Bellair show afterhours is free - it's just parking that's the pain to deal with.

And last car question - I've heard of the show sponsored by Discount Auto that they have Thursday nights up at the Chickfila on Dunlawton in Port Orange - has anyone stopped by or heard anything about it?

Daytona Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
828 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey Rod Run car show

Jenni my husband has a friend that is really into old Ford Trucks and comes up every year from Fort Myers. I was never interested to tell you the truth but I got roped into going a few years ago. We had such a blast and have gone a couple of times since. Even if your not a vintage car person you will love this. The owners love to tell you stories about their cars it's really interesting. Also,there are food and drink vendors and just lots of stuff to see and do. I recommend it to many people coming to DB over Thanksgiving car people or not.

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey Rod Run car show

Since we just decided not to go "home" for Thanksgiving we will have to give this a try! It will just be my husband and I this year and we will need to do something to keep our minds occupied. This sounds like fun. Thanks for the info!!!!

Marion, NC
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey Rod Run car show

Sadly to say, we can't come but we do love all cars. My wife is always after me to find a car show for us to visit and see all of the cars from the 50s and 60s particularly. I also enjoy seeing cars from the 40s.

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkey Rod Run car show

First - I thought I had posted the website for the show on my first post: www.turkeyrun.com - Lots of pics from previous years.

hotandsandy - I was the same way - old cars were just old cars to me and golf too - I could never get interested in it, but then I met my husband and it's amazing how someone's interest and passion for something can 'rope you in'! :)

teachrsue - you two will have a blast - wear your walking shoes and sunscreen, because it's a full day everyday over there and there are TONS of cars to see and many funnel cakes to munch on if you need a break!

Love_Daytona - this is the 34th annual show, and from the turn out last year (5150 participants!!), there sure will be many more shows in the years to come. Hopefully you and your wife will make it down for one in the future.

Daytona Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
828 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkey Rod Run car show

Jenni, LOL on the funnel cakes!

Love Daytona, some of the cars are way older then even the 40's and 50's. These cars are restored to their natural glory and bring back many good memories of that particular time in your life. It's almost like listening to a song that reminds you of that period of your life and what was going on. This show does the same thing.

Teach, this will be a fun way to spend Thanksgiving. Only problem is, if you eat out then you don't have leftovers and that's the best part isn't it?

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkey Rod Run car show

When I hear turkey rod run, it makes me think of an old TV show WKRP in Cincinnati and the turkey drop. ( even though they are not related at all) For those too young to know about this, it is on You Tube. A classic.

Hotandsandy, yes those leftovers are the best ! I will cook Thanksgiving dinner, usually I just have to be in charge of the vegies, this year I'll do it all! Then go have a funnel cake!!!

Daytona Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
828 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkey Rod Run car show

teach, I remember that show well. It sure launched a bunch of careers too. That's how Lonnie bought her breast..kidding.

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkey Rod Run car show

LOL, hotandsandy

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkey Rod Run car show

We missed this years booking to go to the Turkey Run........ very sad indeed.

We are coming next year in 2008 for the 35th Turkey Run from Australia, many of our friends go and tell us it is just super fantastic.

Great to know some owners show off their art at the Bellair shopping plaza for free :)

Cant wait

prozac

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Turkey Rod Run car show

I just booked my room--driving up from Key West.

Went last year and was amazed at the prices some people were asking (and not getting)......$170,000 for a banged up Hemi Roadrunner.

Coming as a spectator, my 76 Silverado 500HP is still in the service bay.