We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking on the Beach

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Parking on the Beach

We are returning to our beloved Daytona again for vacation in June. I've been watching the DB Webcam on occassion and it looks like during high tide, all the vehicles are off the beach. I understand the beaches were damaged from the hurricanes and some tides come up close to the sea wall. Does the beach patrol announce when you should get off the beach due to the tide coming in? We just can't wait to get there!!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking on the Beach

It's up to you to watch your vehicle and the tide.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking on the Beach

Just curious, have there been many cars go out to sea with the tide?? Always wanted to ask that!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking on the Beach

Some get stuck but few go out -

Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking on the Beach

very very very few cars have went out with the tide and the ones that have people have left them for hours upon hours and high tide has came in.

An you can watch the beach patrol will drive around and let you know when the beach is going to have to close for high tide. Just keep and eye out and when then beach ventors start to leave you know its high tide also pick up a news journal paper it list daily times of high tide and most front desk clerks have the times.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking on the Beach

Thanks for the info!! Are some tides "higher" than others now? Also, it looks like they have moved the parking posts back. We usually get to the beach about 10:30 and leave about 3:00pm or so. We like to spend most of the day on the beach! In years past, we didn't have to get off, even at high tide. The hurricanes must have taken alot of the beach, that is so sad. :(

Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking on the Beach

we have lost so much sand that on somedays not everyday the water comes all the way to the wall or the sand is just to soft. I think they need move the driving lane back a bit but i think it had to do with the people enjoying the sun and beach and not the high tide issue ( not sure on that one) on Money people were driving until like 5pm. things are getting better. and you will still get to enjoy the beach for most of the day Just to give you a sample high tide today was at 10:42am which was not that bad and not again until 11:20pm tonight.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking on the Beach

Is it just me ??? But what is the attraction to driving your car on the beach. We were at Daytona and I couldn't figure out the thrill. Maybe I'm just an old fart that doesn't know how to have fun anymore, lol

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking on the Beach

As far as I know, driving on the each is more of a tradition in Daytona than anything else as the original car races way back when were held on the beach...

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking on the Beach

It is mostly tradition for my husband and I, brings back memories of when we were younger! Plus, you don't have to carry your chairs, coolers, boogie boards and everything. You just pop your trunk and you are ready to set up for the day!

Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach