We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA virgin

Which Davenport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huddersfield
1 post
Save Topic
USA virgin

We are about to book a 2 week holiday in Bahama Bay resort over the Christmas period. We have a little girl aged 8.

Does anyone have any tips as to best places to visit, eat, drink, shop? This is the first time we will have been to the USA and would really appreciate comments regarding things like tipping, spending and saving money, etc.

Thanks

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: USA virgin

aardvark - GREAT reply........now PLEEEEASE make a post about what you just said in Las Vegas forum.........It would be SO funny!!!

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: USA virgin

Nick, what on earth is this fixation you have with the Las Vegas forum? I've never visited the place and have no wish to do so and therefore would not contribute to the forum. If for some bizarre reason visitors wish to tip all and sundry, that's up to them. Why don't you contribute to the forum and ask them to come on here and comment? Although I'm not that interested in what they have to say - I still will not tip for indifferent or downright rude service.

By the way, egg51, if you are still reading this and haven't lost the will to live by all this inconsequential nonsense, just go to Florida, enjoy the experience, and tip just what YOU are happy with.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: USA virgin

aardv - lol, you care WAY more about this subject than i do!

Tell you what - you just dont tip very well and do things 'the British way' once in someone elses country, sounds like a plan :)

Enjoy international drive next time you are there.

Royal Palm Beach
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: USA virgin

I have read about tipping on the Vegas forum and I think it is absolutely absurd! I am a well educated American and have travelled extensively across North America. I never ever heard of anyone tipping for(let's get this right)-maid service, hailing a taxi, opening my door, upgrading my room until I started reading TA.

This is how I tip and how everyone I know does it, even when visiting Vegas. I tip at a full service restaurant (not the walk-up counters) 15% if service was good. I might leave 20% if service was superb. I will give the valet $2 upon returning my car to me-not when he takes it away. When my pizza is delivered to my house, I give $1/pizza. I also tip 15% at the hair salon, but only if my stylist did a great job. That's it folks. My husband works hard for his money and I need to be a good steward of our finances. If it ticks someone off that they didn't get a tip, so be it. I believe the service industry has become so lackadaisical, it's frightening. My husband doesn't get rewarded for shoddy performance, so why should I give away his hard earned money if it isn't warranted?

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: USA virgin

Well said allamanda!! Good to see an injection of plain common sense. I really hope you speak for a large majority of Americans.

16. Re: USA virgin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, August 18, 2009