We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatees - April

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Manatees - April

I'm a bit nervous out of my depth but would like to try snorkelling - does boat stay close?

Is April a good time to see manatees?

Finally, none of the hotels have particularly good reviews. Comfort Inn or Best Western better location?

Thanks all

Southwest Florida
Level Contributor
206 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manatees - April

most of the manatee "cruises" are geared much more for snorklers, even though many people dive. Manatees like the surface/shallow water where the water is warmer and there is food. April is a decent, though not great time, for manatees. Your odds increase dramatically if we get a late low pressure weather front. They go into the channel to get out of the cold water/wind.

Hotels in crystal river/Homosassa area is a challenge - I know. You may be better off with a local B&B than a chain. Wikki Wachee (south) or Dunellen (east) has a number of them and while it is a drive to crystal river (closer to homosassa) it might be worth it. The other area that is lovely and quaint, but again a bit of a drive, is Cedar Key (due northwest). Don't miss the Yulee Sugar mill state park (just south) while you are in the area -a decent bit of history. If you are looking for a less expensive place - check brooksville or wildwood/coleman (intersection of Interstate75/Rt429).

Good luck and happy swimming!

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manatees - April

Thank you FLA Islandr - some very useful advice.

Sugar mill sounds good too - will look into that.