We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of out manatee swim!

Which Crystal River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Review of out manatee swim!

We were in Crystal River last week and went out with Captain Traci of Native Vacations who I highly recommend. There aren't many manatees in June but she patiently kept looking until she found several for us to interact with. She is very concerned about educating people on the manatees safety and protection.

Our experience was the highlight of our trip to Florida! We were able to swim and snorkel right near a mother and her baby. The baby was very playful and would swim right up to my mask.It also rolled over a few times for a belly rub!Several times you could hear the mother calling the baby to come check in with her then it would swim right back to us!

I would definitely recommend Captain Traci and Native Vactions if you want to have this experience!

covington,la
Level Contributor
775 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of out manatee swim!

Thank you so much. I am planning on calling her next week for our trip. Did you bring your own snorkel gear? Did you think wet suits were necessary? How msny hours were you out? Did you get pick-up service?

Albany NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review of out manatee swim!

Hi Maria....We did not get pick up service. We were staying in Orlando and drove over early in the morning.It took us about 1 and 1/2 hours.We did bring our snorkel equipment but they rent them as well as wetsuits. I brought my own wetsuit and my husband rented one for $10. I would recommend it. You will be in the water alot and it does get chilly.The water temp is a pretty steady 72 degrees.Where we first got in, it was warm enough but as we went further out, it got a little colder.You will not mind though once you are swimming with the manatees! You forget all about being cold!

We were lucky enough to be the only people out with Captain Traci that day. I believe she only ever takes 6 maximum though.We were out from about 8:30 to 11:30 or 12.

Any other questions, please ask!

By the way, are you a nurse? I am an RN in women's health care. Just wondered what your rn after your name meant.

covington,la
Level Contributor
775 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review of out manatee swim!

Thank you again for all the info. i guess I will rent a wetsuit, have to check with the hubby. We are staying with a friend in Windermere south of Orlando. I have always wanted to do this. I unexpectedly came upon a manatee in Destin on time but I thought it was a rock and it freaked me out and I screamed...so it swam very very quickly away.

So I will call Cpt Traci tomorrow!

yes, I'm a nurse. Currently in Endoscopy.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
423 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review of out manatee swim!

Thanks for the review. We will be in Orlando in Oct and this is something we want to do. We were actually looking at Native Vacations.

In fact, I am more excited about snorkeling with the manatees than I am the theme parks.

Dallas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Review of out manatee swim!

Hi, yes the manatee encounter was amazing. My family and I went out with Captain Gene of Crystal River WaterSports last week. What a Captain, we had major rain and he was able to secure us on land for a brief momoent until the storm broke and then we proceded on our manatee encounter. It's funny you talk about Captain Traci, he talked about her as well. Captain Gene had very high remarks of his friend traci. You would think they had the same goal...or from the same mold...lol It sounds like they do. He had spoke about her that he only knew of two captains that actually moved to florida for this job...out of 50 some active captains. I wish I could do that job. Oh well nice review, Captain Gene also said that him and traci were the only one's invited to the USFW aniversery last year to drive their tour boats.. pretty cool

Albany NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review of out manatee swim!

Hi ... so glad you had a good time! Capt Traci did tell us that she fell in love with the manatees after she swam with them for the first time and did specifically move out to Florida to become a captain.I hope the others who posted also had a good experience.

7. Re: Review of out manatee swim!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 21, 2010