We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early May Kayaking Banana River, etc… how buggy?

Which Cocoa Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Early May Kayaking Banana River, etc… how buggy?

We are considering kayaking with Fin Expeditions or the like and was wondering if we should expect it to be really buggy while on the water? Maybe a mosquito mask or something like that would be a good idea? Thanks!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early May Kayaking Banana River, etc… how buggy?

I haven't been on the trip in May, but I don't think that the bugs/mosquitos will be extreme because of the proximity to the ocean and the brackish water of the Banana River. Some kind of repellent should be adequate, if you need it at all.

Sunscreen may be more critical than repellent.

The love bugs do come out around late April or into May. For about a week or so, they swarm enough to be annoying, but do not bite. They will be present around the Thousand Islands in the Banana River for a short time.

Edited: 8:14 pm, March 25, 2014
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,900 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early May Kayaking Banana River, etc… how buggy?

Early mornings will have no seems (tiny little bugs that bite and you can't see them). A few mosquitoes if you get close to the mangroves but they don't follow you around in swarms. Also evenings right at dark and after dark is when the mosquitoes are at their worst. Even then a little but repellant is all you need. If I am going to be on the water early I layer long sleeves, etc. that I can remove once the sun is up. The bugs usually disappear then and unless you are deep in some mangrove bushes or on a very wooded island you won't see them during the daytime.

3. Re: Early May Kayaking Banana River, etc… how buggy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 28, 2015